For Healthcare Volunteers
Volunteers in the healthcare mission are placed in a variety of settings, where they spend their time and talents serving patients, families, and staff. We're always interested in hearing from reliable and compassionate people who would like to help our patients on a regular basis. Placements are determinations are based upon the volunteer's skills, interests, availability, and previous experience.
See an overview of the volunteer onboarding process below:
Onboarding Process time: 6-8 Weeks
Please note: In compliance with Oregon law, OHSU’s COVID-19 Immunization and Education policy will go in effect Oct. 18, 2021. Visitors and volunteers who have an in-person assignment must be fully vaccinated (14 days after last dose). Exception requests from visitors and volunteers will not be accepted. Please be prepared to provide proof of vaccination, or to receive a Covid-19 vaccination, as a requirement for onboarding for your in-person assignment at OHSU. You will not be allowed to participate within OHSU if you are not compliant with this policy.
- Within 2-3 weeks of submitting an application, you will be invited to an in-person New Volunteer Orientation. Orientations generally take place during the first week of each calendar month.
- After you attend a New Volunteer Orientation, you will be asked to attend an in-person New Volunteer Interview in order to be placed in a program based on your experience, interests, and availability. Interviews take place the second or third week of each calendar month.
- After your interview, you will be sent an email with an offer for a volunteer position: including the location, day and time of the volunteer position we are offering you. Should you accept the position, you will be asked to sign a few documents and send them to OVV.
- Once you accept your offer and returned the paperwork, you will receive an email from our background check vendor, Advanced Reporting.
- You will need to fill out the background check questionnaire within 7 days of receiving the email. If your link expires, please email us at OVV@ohsu.edu to be sent a new link
- Your Onboarding Packet will outline everything you need to do to get started as a volunteer. Including, but not limited to:
- Medical clearance
- Online trainings
- You will receive instructions to pick up your ID badge and volunteer Polo
- You will also get instructions for attending trainings and orientations, as applicable for your assignment, as well as your first solo shift date.
- After you have completed the training outlined in your Welcome Packet, you will be ready to start your minimum commitment of 6 months as a volunteer!