Volunteers in the healthcare mission are placed in a variety of settings, where they spend their time and talents serving patients, families, and staff. We're always interested in hearing from reliable and compassionate people who would like to help our patients on a regular basis. Placements are determinations are based upon the volunteer's skills, interests, availability, and previous experience.
See an overview of the volunteer onboarding process below:
- Onboarding Process time: 6-8 Weeks
- Please note: In compliance with Oregon law, OHSU’s COVID-19 Immunization and Education policy will go in effect Oct. 18, 2021. Visitors and volunteers who have an in-person assignment must be fully vaccinated (defined as having received both doses of an original two-dose COVID-19 vaccine, or one dose of an original single-dose COVID-19 vaccine, and at least 14 days have passed since the individual's final dose of COVID-19 vaccine) or adhere to any requirements set forth by OHSU's Occupational Health Clinic for unvaccinated individuals.
- Fill out the online application - Open Webpage.
- Please note: Opportunities are extremely limited for individuals under the age of 18, who are only available nights and weekends during the academic school year. While these individuals are welcome to apply, OVV will not likely have a spot available for them. These individuals are strongly encouraged to consider applying for Summer Program 2024 - Open Webpage.
- Within 2-3 weeks of submitting an application, you will be invited to an in-person New Volunteer Orientation. Orientations generally take place during the first week of each calendar month.
- After you attend a New Volunteer Orientation, you will be asked to attend an in-person New Volunteer Interview in order to be placed in a program based on your experience, interests, and availability. Interviews take place the second or third week of each calendar month.
- After your interview, you will be sent an email with an offer for a volunteer position: including the location, day and time of the volunteer position we are offering you. Should you accept the position, you will be asked to sign a few documents and send them to OVV.
- Once you accept your offer and returned the paperwork, you will receive an email from our background check vendor, Advanced Reporting.
- You will need to fill out the background check questionnaire within 7 days of receiving the email. If your link expires, please email us at OVV@ohsu.edu to be sent a new link
- Your Onboarding Packet will outline everything you need to do to get started as a volunteer. Including, but not limited to:
- Medical clearance
- Online trainings
- You will receive instructions to pick up your ID badge and volunteer Polo
- You will also get instructions for attending trainings and orientations, as applicable for your assignment, as well as your first solo shift date.
- After you have completed the training outlined in your Welcome Packet, you will be ready to start your minimum commitment of 6 months as a volunteer!