Become a Visitor or Volunteer
Thank you for your interest in visiting, volunteering, interning, or collaborating at OHSU! The average time to register is 6-8 weeks. This can vary based on several factors (e.g. background check timeline, visitor/volunteer responsiveness and Occupational Health clearance). Please plan accordingly.
Please note: In compliance with Oregon law, OHSU’s COVID-19 Immunization and Education policy will go in effect Oct. 18, 2021. Visitors and volunteers who have an in-person assignment must be fully vaccinated (14 days after last dose). Exception requests from visitors and volunteers will not be accepted. Please be prepared to provide proof of vaccination, or to receive a Covid-19 vaccination, as a requirement for onboarding for your in-person assignment at OHSU. You will not be allowed to participate within OHSU if you are not compliant with this policy.
- Are you at least 16 years of age?
- Are you able to complete all OHSU OVV compliance processes (including a background check and online trainings)?
Before you can begin the onboarding process, your hosting department will need to submit your assignment for preliminary approval from the Visiting Learner Oversight Commitee (VLOC.) VLOC meets once a month and a decision will be emailed to your hosting department directly. Your hosting department will update you on the status of your assignment.
Hosting departments can reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about VLOC and how to submit a request to the committee.
- Should your assignment be approved by VLOC, your Hosting department will request your complete the Applicant Registration Form.
- After registering, you and your hosting department will work through our OVV Application packet.
- Your hosting department can find this by visiting our O2 site
- Part of this packet is filling out the Application Form. This form is designed to help you build your experience with your hosting department. Take time to talk through your goals, experience and interests with your hosting department so that you both can work to create an assignment that is mutually beneficial and can launch you towards your future goals.
There are 3 forms which will require your signature:
The Application Form
Visitor Rights and Responsibilities
- Fill out the background check questionnaire: Soon after your hosting department submits the completed Application Packet to OVV, you will receive an email from our background check vendor, Advanced Reporting. You will need to fill out the background check questionnaire within 7 days of receiving the email.
- If your link expires, please email us at OVV@ohsu.edu to be sent a new link
- Please note that J-1 visitors follow a different process. Please have your hosting department refer to our J-1 Exchange Program O2 page for more information.
See an overview of our entire onboarding process.
OVV will process your Applicant Registration Form, Application Packet, and initiate your background check.
Watch for an e-mail from Advanced Reporting to complete your background check.
Please note that J-1 visitors follow a different process. Please have your hosting department refer to our O2 page for more information.
Upon approval of your Application Packet and background check clearance you will receive an Onboarding Packet outlining your next steps. This will include the completion of online Compass modules and medical clearances from Occupational Health, if necessary.
Upon completion of the steps outlined in the Onboarding Packet. You will receive a final Activation email with instructions for obtaining an OHSU Badge, how to access your Volgistics account, and where to log your hours. You are only cleared to start your assignment once you receive our activation email.
Please note: you are not covered by liability insurance until activated by our office.