Dr. Michael F. Chiang is Knowles Professor of Ophthalmology & Medical Informatics and Clinical Epidemiology at OHSU, and is Associate Director of the OHSU Casey Eye Institute. He is a clinician-scientist who conducts research in the application of biomedical informatics to clinical ophthalmology. His clinical practice focuses on pediatric ophthalmology and adult strabismus. His research work involves telemedicine for diagnosis of retinopathy of prematurity and other ophthalmic diseases, implementation and evaluation of electronic health record systems, modeling of clinical workflow, and computer-based image analysis for clinical diagnosis.
His research has been continuously funded by the National Institutes of Health since 2003, and is also funded by the National Science Foundation and by several charitable foundations. His group has published over 150 peer-reviewed journal papers. He has mentored over 50 postdoctoral fellows, medical students, and graduate students, many of whom have won research awards and eventually moved to top academic programs throughout the country. He directs an OHSU-wide NIH-funded T32 vision science training program for pre-doctoral and post-doctoral students, and co-directs (with Dr. John Morrison) an NIH-funded K12 mentored clinician-scientist program in ophthalmology. He is always looking to collaborate with students, fellows, and clinicians who are nice, bright, and hard-working.
Dr. Chiang received a B.S. in electrical engineering and biology from Stanford University in 1991, and an M.D. from Harvard Medical School and the Harvard-MIT Division of Health Sciences and Technology in 1996. He received an M.A. in biomedical informatics from Columbia University, where he was a National Library of Medicine fellow. He completed residency and pediatric ophthalmology fellowship training at the Johns Hopkins Wilmer Eye Institute. He is board-certified in ophthalmology and clinical informatics, and is an elected Fellow of the American College of Medical Informatics. Before coming to OHSU in 2010, he spent over 9 years at Columbia University, where he was Anne S. Cohen Associate Professor of Ophthalmology and Biomedical Informatics, director of medical student education in ophthalmology, and director of the introductory graduate student course in biomedical informatics.
He is past Chair of the American Academy of Ophthalmology (AAO) Medical Information Technology Committee, and is a member of the AAO IRIS Registry Executive Committee and Chair of the AAO IRIS Registry Data Analytics Committee. He is Associate Editor for Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association (JAMIA) and Journal of the American Association for Pediatric Ophthalmology & Strabismus (JAAPOS), and serves on the Editorial Boards for Ophthalmology, Ophthalmology Retina, Asia-Pacific Journal of Ophthalmology, and EyeNet. He has received numerous clinical, research, and teaching awards.Read more
- B.S., Stanford University, Stanford California 1991
- M.D., Harvard Medical School and Harvard-MIT Division of Health Sciences and Technology, Boston Massachusetts 1996
- Johns Hopkins Wilmer Eye Institute, Baltimore, MD, 2000
- Pediatric ophthalmology and adult strabismus - Johns Hopkins Wilmer Eye Institute, Baltimore MD, 2001
- Diplomate, American Board of Ophthalmology
- Diplomate (Clinical Informatics), American Board of Preventive Medicine
- "Automated diagnosis of plus disease in retinopathy of prematurity using deep convolutional neural networks." JAMA Ophthalmology In: , Vol. 136, No. 7, 01.07.2018, p. 803-810.
- "Accuracy and reliability of eye-based vs quadrant-based diagnosis of plus disease in retinopathy of prematurity." JAMA Ophthalmology In: , Vol. 136, No. 6, 01.06.2018, p. 648-655.
- "Diagnostic accuracy of ophthalmoscopy vs telemedicine in examinations for retinopathy of prematurity." JAMA Ophthalmology In: , Vol. 136, No. 5, 01.05.2018, p. 498-504.
- "Pediatric vision screening." Pediatrics in Review In: , Vol. 39, No. 5, 01.05.2018, p. 225-234.
- "Anti-vascular endothelial growth factor and the evolving management paradigm for retinopathy of prematurity." Asia-Pacific Journal of Ophthalmology In: , Vol. 7, No. 3, 01.05.2018, p. 136-144.
- "Plus disease in retinopathy of prematurity : More than meets the ICROP?" Asia-Pacific Journal of Ophthalmology In: , Vol. 7, No. 3, 01.05.2018, p. 152-155.
- "Adoption of electronic health records and perceptions of financial and clinical outcomes among ophthalmologists in the United States." JAMA Ophthalmology In: , Vol. 136, No. 2, 01.02.2018, p. 164-170.
- "Association of the presence of trainees with outpatient appointment times in an ophthalmology clinic." JAMA Ophthalmology In: , Vol. 136, No. 1, 01.01.2018, p. 20-26.
- "Biomedical informatics and data science : Evolving fields with significant overlap." Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association In: , Vol. 25, No. 1, ocx146, 01.01.2018, p. 2-3.
- "Secondary use of electronic health record data for clinical workflow analysis." Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association In: , Vol. 25, No. 1, ocx098, 01.01.2018, p. 40-46.
- "The 2016 American Academy of Ophthalmology IRIS Registry (Intelligent Research in Sight) Database : Characteristics and Methods." Ophthalmology In: , 01.01.2018.
- "Visual acuity recovery following traumatic hyphema in a pediatric population." Journal of AAPOS In: , 01.01.2018.
- "Performance Rates Measured in the American Academy of Ophthalmology IRIS Registry (Intelligent Research in Sight)." Ophthalmology In: , 01.01.2018.
- "Ophthalmic imaging in children : current practice patterns and perceived barriers." Journal of AAPOS In: , 01.01.2018.
- "Retinopathy of prematurity : a review of risk factors and their clinical significance." Survey of Ophthalmology In: , 01.01.2018.
- "Visual impairment evaluation in 119 children with congenital Zika syndrome." Journal of AAPOS In: , 01.01.2018.
- "Fully automated disease severity assessment and treatment monitoring in retinopathy of prematurity using deep learning." Medical Imaging 2018: Imaging Informatics for Healthcare, Research, and Applications. Vol. 10579 SPIE, 2018. 105790Q.
- "Changes in relative position of choroidal versus retinal vessels in preterm infants." Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science In: , Vol. 58, No. 14, 01.12.2017, p. 6334-6341.
- "Time requirements for electronic health record use in an academic ophthalmology center." JAMA Ophthalmology In: , Vol. 135, No. 11, 01.11.2017, p. 1250-1257.
- "Handheld optical coherence tomography angiography and ultra-wide-field optical coherence tomography in retinopathy of prematurity." JAMA Ophthalmology In: , Vol. 135, No. 9, 01.09.2017, p. 977-981.
- "Reply." Ophthalmology In: , Vol. 124, No. 5, 01.05.2017, p. e46-e47.
- "Plus Disease in Retinopathy of Prematurity : Diagnostic Trends in 2016 Versus 2007." American Journal of Ophthalmology In: , Vol. 176, 01.04.2017, p. 70-76.
- "Perspectives and uses of the electronic health record among US pediatricians : A national survey." Journal of Ambulatory Care Management In: , Vol. 40, No. 1, 2017, p. 59-68.
- "Assessment of a Tele-education System to Enhance Retinopathy of Prematurity Training by International Ophthalmologists-in-Training in Mexico." Ophthalmology In: , 05.12.2016.
- "Retinopathy of Prematurity : Imaging in retinopathy of prematurity: where are we, and where are we going?" Journal of AAPOS In: , Vol. 20, No. 6, 01.12.2016, p. 474-476.
- "Influence of computer-generated mosaic photographs on retinopathy of prematurity diagnosis and management." JAMA Ophthalmology In: , Vol. 134, No. 11, 01.11.2016, p. 1283-1289.
- "Plus Disease in Retinopathy of Prematurity : Improving Diagnosis by Ranking Disease Severity and Using Quantitative Image Analysis." Ophthalmology In: , Vol. 123, No. 11, 01.11.2016, p. 2345-2351.
- "Plus Disease in Retinopathy of Prematurity : A Continuous Spectrum of Vascular Abnormality as a Basis of Diagnostic Variability." Ophthalmology In: , Vol. 123, No. 11, 01.11.2016, p. 2338-2344.
- "Toward a severity index for ROP : An unsupervised approach." 2016 38th Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society, EMBC 2016. Vol. 2016-October Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers Inc., 2016. p. 1312-1315 7590948.
- "Outer Retinal Structural Alternation and Segmentation Errors in Optical Coherence Tomography Imaging in Patients with a History of Retinopathy of Prematurity." American Journal of Ophthalmology In: , Vol. 166, 01.06.2016, p. 169-180.