REDCap (Research Electronic Data Capture) is a secure, reliable, versatile and feature-rich web application for building and managing HIPAA- and IRB-compliant online surveys and databases. Researchers can create and design surveys in a web browser and engage potential respondents using a variety of notification methods.
REDCap was developed by Vanderbilt University, which continues to oversee its ongoing development and the implementation of new features.
REDCap Quick Links
Information about REDCap
REDCap is a self-service application. Once trained, a study team sets up and designs their own REDCap project to meet the needs of their study to familiarize themselves with OCTRI policies regarding REDCap use. We expect our users, especially folks who will be designing the collection forms, to be familiar with the material we cover in the Basics Class. In addition, we've designed our classes to be an important part of the model that allows us to provide basic REDCap access and services at no cost to investigators.
Register for our REDCap classes and drop-ins using the button above or via the sign up button on the REDCap homepage.
- During modified operations, REDCap classes and drop-ins are held online.
About the REDCap Basics Training for Project Builders
The Basics eLearning course provides research staff with an overview of REDCap operations and covers essential features and functionality. Completion of the course is required for personnel who request and build projects. This course is not designed for data entry personnel.
About the REDCap Survey class
The Survey class focuses on survey operations and requirements, and include demonstrations of survey specific features. Attendance is required for projects using survey functionality, due to the complexity of REDCap’s survey functionality and the fact that surveys are distributed directly to participants. Class is for OHSU and OCTRI partner personnel. Basics training is a pre-requisite for Survey class. The Survey class is held on the schedule below.
- Third Thursday of each month from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. (online only)
In-Person support with REDCap Drop-Ins
Drop-in sessions are for in-person problem solving and help with REDCap basic functionality, to answer questions about advanced features, have brief conversations about design strategies, and to conduct pre-production survey reviews. Personnel who attend drop-ins are expected to have Basics training or core competency with basic functionality. Drop-ins are offered on a first come, first served basis and the time allotted per person depends on the number of attendees. Pre-production survey reviews are prioritized. Drop-ins are held on the schedule below.
- Every Monday from 1 p.m. to 2 p.m. (online only)
- Every Thursday from 11 a.m. to 12 p.m. (online only)
See "Upcoming REDCap Classes" section below for details on schedule changes
When you need additional support
Advanced REDCap assistance is available for a nominal fee. For details, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Upcoming REDCap classes and drop-in sessions are listed below. For a full listing of classes throughout the year, please see the OCTRI Events calendar.
OCTRI REDCap Basics Course for Project Builders
The regularly scheduled in-person REDCap Basic Classes, held online, will be discontinued, effective March 5, 2021. Click here to register for the eLearning for the REDCap Basics Course for Project Builders.
OCTRI REDCap Survey Classes
OCTRI REDCap Drop-in Sessions
- Build online surveys and databases quickly and securely
- User-friendly interface for collecting data
- Audit trails for tracking data manipulation and user activity
- Export your data to Microsoft Excel, SAS, STATA, R or SPSS for analysis
- Ad Hoc Reporting
- Easily manage a contact list of survey respondents or create a simple survey link
- Build a list of email contacts, create custom email invitations and track who responds, or you may also create a single survey link to email out or post on a website
- Document the process of resolving data issues using the Data Resolution Workflow module
- IRB-approved electronic consent toolkit and methodology for research teams to use in research studies that are not FDA regulated (21 CFR Part 11).
- Training: Each REDCap project must have at least one individual from a study team that is responsible for creating and setting-up the project. This person must have completed our Basics training before being granted access to REDCap. Survey class is required for projects using survey functionality.
- Online Help: Online videos and help in REDCap are for supplemental purposes and do not replace REDCap tutorial sessions.
- Study Data: A REDCap project must have a status of "Production" in order to contain subject data. Only test data should be entered in projects with a status of "Development" and all test data is deleted when a project is moved into production.
- Surveys: REDCap survey functionality should only be used to capture data entered directly by study subjects. If study staff are entering data from paper-completed surveys, it is not necessary to use REDCap surveys. There are two requirements for project using surveys: 1) At least one individual must attend the Survey class, and 2) if a project is using surveys, at least one person must attend a drop-in session to review the survey set-up for the project.
- CFR Compliance: REDCap is not 21 CFR Part 11 compliant, but OCTRI does offer other solutions that comply with this regulation. REDCap is also not GDPR compliant.
- Protects Patient Privacy: All data is stored on a secure server at OHSU and all transmissions (whether wireless or wired) are encrypted with industry standard SSL (AES 256-bit encryption).
OCTRI staff conducts regulatory reviews for all REDCap requests involving human subjects research. Please be sure to include appropriate REDCap language in your study documents. Institutional Review Board approval is required for "production" status.