OHSU & PA Program Scholarships
OHSU Provost Excellence Scholarship
OHSU has established a new Provost Excellence Scholarship to help increase the number of students who graduate from a number of our health professional programs and the diversity of our overall student body to 30% by the year 2030. Priority applications will be considered for scholarship funding, OHSU scholarship funding is intended to increase student diversity. To be eligible, students must meet two of the OHSU diversity criteria. These are: racial or ethnic minority underrepresented at OHSU; first-generation college student; history of receiving public support; history of receiving educational support or accommodations; resident of rural Oregon. This information is collected during the application process and those who apply will be automatically considered.
OHSU President's Fund Scholarship
The healthcare profession’s core obligation is to meet our nation’s many health needs as comprehensively as possible. This obligation includes training a sufficient number of able healthcare providers in different practice areas and ensuring that competent health care is available to all citizens in an increasingly heterogeneous society-an effort often advanced with a diverse student body in health science universities. To ensure that graduates of OHSU help address the healthcare needs of Oregon, the region and the United States, OHSU will provide President’s funding to health professions programs to cover tuition and fees to eligible students. Funding will be provided to selected students for the entire length of their program.
OHSU Promising Scholars
This award is made to outstanding scholars who have been admitted to any graduate program in the School of Medicine that results in a master’s level degree or PhD and who also show potential to contribute to the intellectual richness and diversity of the OHSU student community into our graduate programs. These funds are intended help reimburse moving expenses to Portland, Oregon but may be used by students for any purpose.
Scholars for a Healthy Oregon Initiative (SHOI)
SHOI funding provides full tuition and applicable fees for a limited number of eligible students entering specific clinical degree programs at OHSU. In return, funded recipients agree to practice as a healthcare practitioner in a rural or underserved community in Oregon for a minimum of one year longer than the total years of funding received. A 3-year service commitment is required for PA recipients upon graduation.
Harry W Masenhimer, Jr MD Scholarship
This scholarship is a tribute Dr. Masenhimer's lifetime commitment to education, service, patient care and providing medical services to the underserved. Throughout his career, he had wonderful working relationships with Physician Assistants as well as deep respect and admiration for their intelligence, compassion and service. These funds are awarded to two incoming students based on merit and financial need.
OHSU PA Leadership & Service Scholarship (PALSS)
PALSS is awarded to individuals who exemplify interest, action, and advocacy, as well as possess an established record, of service to others. The scholarships also recognize the applicant’s leadership potential and continuing service. Two scholarships are awarded – one to an academic year student and one to a clinical year student. Although the award is primarily merit-based, financial need will also be considered. Application is available each spring to matriculated OHSU PA students.
Scholarship and Loan forgiveness resources
The following list provides a sampling of the potential scholarship or loan forgiveness programs that are available to assist with funding your PA education. These programs are not administered by the OHSU PA Program, so please refer to the links for additional information and contact information for each specific scholarship.
- PA Foundation
- PeaceHealth Health Career Scholarships
- State of Oregon Office of Student Access and Completion
- Oregon Medical Association (OMA) Medical Scholarship Fund
- VA Health Professional Scholarship Program (HPSP)
- National Health Service Corps (NHSC) Scholarship
- Paul & Daisy Soros Fellowships for New Americans
- F.A. Davis
- Oregon Medical Education Foundation (OMEF) Leadership Scholarship
- Tylenol Future Care Scholarship
- PA Foundation – AAPA Rural Health Caucus Scholarship/Ron Nelson Memorial Rural Scholarship
- PA Foundation – Timi Agar Barwick Scholarship for Humanism in Medicine
- PA Foundation – William H. Marquardt Community Health Access Scholarship
- PA Foundation – AAPA Past Presidents Scholarship
- PA Foundation – Joyce Nichols Memorial Scholarship
- Eva Dimitrov, MD & Physician Assistants in Hospice and Palliative Medicine (PAHPM) Scholarship
- Society of Emergency Medicine Physician Assistants – Paul S. Robinson Award
- Association of Physician Assistants in Oncology Scholarship
- American Association of Surgical Physician Assistants - Susan and Tom Lusty Memorial Scholarship
- Physician Assistants Orthopaedic Surgery – Susan Lindahl Memorial Scholarship
- African Heritage PA Caucus – The Prentiss L. Harrison Memorial Scholarship
- Physician Assistants for Latino Health (PALH), a caucus of AAPA, Scholarship
- Society for Physician Assistants in Pediatrics Scholarship
- Society of Physician Assistants in Otorhinolaryngology/Head & Neck Surgery
- Primary Care Loan Forgiveness (PCLF) and AHEC Scholars Program
- National Health Service Corps Loan Repayment Program
- Oregon Health Care Provider Loan Repayment Program
- Oregon Partnership State Loan Repayment Program
- Oregon Behavioral Health Loan Repayment Program
- Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF)