We love Portland and want you to explore all that the city has to offer. Some things to keep in mind:
- The Portland metropolitan area ranks 25th in the US with ~2.5 million people and is a major cultural center for the Pacific Northwest. There are plenty of fun things to do.
- Portland, and Oregon in general, is famous for its outdoor activities, food scene, farmers/neighborhood markets, breweries, and more.
- Portland has a comparatively low cost of living for a larger metropolitan area and OHSU salaries are favorable relative to the cost of living.
- The city's diverse neighborhoods are family friendly, exciting to explore, and convenient to OHSU.
- While the wetter winters are notable for some, with 80% of the rain occurring between November and May, Portland summers are warm, dry, and beautiful! The area also largely avoids severe weather events.
Outdoor and Entertainment Activities are Plentiful
- Portland has over 7,000 acres of parks and is close to the Pacific Ocean, Mount Hood (with year-round skiing), and numerous hiking spots, waterfalls, and rivers. You can ski, surf, and fly-fish within 90 minutes.
- Forest Park is one of the largest urban parks in the world and offers an outdoor escape minutes from OHSU and downtown.
- The very successful Timbers and Thorns soccer teams have strong followings! Not to mention the Blazers!
Transportation is Easy
- The Portland Aerial Tram offers a beautiful (and free) ride to work and connects OHSU to multiple public transportation options.
- Bicycling is a common mode of transport in the city. Twelve bike-friendly bridges cross the Willamette River and there is free bike parking at the bottom of the OHSU tram. For more information, visit the OHSU and Portland bike programs. OHSU also offers subsidized transportation passes for the city's excellent public transportation system.