We take such pride in our residents' accomplishments in scholarship, and this includes publications and poster/oral conference presentations. Our residents present at multiple regional and national conferences this year, as well as events hosted within the OHSU community, as well as publish in dozens of different journals annually.
- 2019: Dr. Jenna Petersen: "Incidence and Outcome of Bacteremia During Acute Graft‐Versus‐Host Disease Involving the Gastrointestinal Tract Following Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplant"
- 2018: Dr. Erin Lu: “DNA Repair Gene Alterations & PARP Inhibitor Response in Metastatic Castration – Resistant Prostate Cancer Patients"
- 2017: Dr. Jean Liew, "Posttraumatic Stress Disorder and Correlates of Disease Activity among Veterans with Ankylosing Spondylitis"
- 2019: Drs. Jessica Haraga and Missy LeBlanc: "Not All It’s CrAg‐ed Up to Be: Disseminated Cryptococcosis"
- 2018: Dr. Teena Xu: “Synovitis Acne Pustulosis Hyperostosis Osteitis (SAPHO) Paradoxical Reactions and Different Responses to Tumor Necrosis Factor Inhibitors”
- 2017: Dr. Chris Fine: “A Greener Oregon: Acute Inpatient Delirium"
Impact of Scholarly Contributions (graduating R3)
- 2019: Dr. Max Gordon
- 2018: Drs. Jeffrey Bien and Stephen Amrock
- 2019: Dr. Arnab Mitra
- 2018: Dr. Joseph Shatzel
- 2019: Drs. Alan Hunter and Avital O'Glasser
- 2018: Dr. Vinay Prasad
(see the individual Oregon ACP Virtual Poster sessions for complete lists of winners)
2019 American Society of Hematology (ASH):
Hematology Opportunities for the Next Generation of Research Scientists (HONORS) Award: Derrick Tao
2019 OHSU Alumni Association Paper of the Year:
- Dr. Eric Lu
NW Regional SGIM 2019:
- Top Ranked Clinical Vignette: Joel Burnett, “Elsberg Syndrome: an infectious cause of cauda equina syndrome”
NW Regional SGIM 2018
- Innovations Poster Winner: Aya Mayo, "Do You Take the Red Pill or Blue Pill? - Improving Methods of Medication Reconciliation at the Veterans Affairs Portland Health Care System (VAPORHCS)"
- Top Ranked Clinical Vignette: Bruce Kaufman, "Back to Basics: the Limited of pH"
- Abstract Achievement Award: Curtis Lachowiez, "Healthcare Consumption Amongst Older Patients with High Risk AML Treated with Hypomethylating Agents is Similar to That of Patients Receiving Induction Chemotherapy."
- Conquer Cancer Merit Award: Curtis Lachowiez, "Implementation of a Screening Program for Identification of Unrecognized Inherited Marrow Failure Syndromes"
NW Regional SGIM 2017
- Top ranked resident clinical presentation: Jeffrey Bien, "On Booby Traps and Burner Phones"
Oregon ACP Winners 2017:
- 1st place Oral Presentation: Jessica Dreicer, "Let's Not be Rash"
- 2nd place Oral Presentation: Kristy Duggan, "DisCORDant Symptoms Simplified"
- 1st place Clinical Vignette Poster: Melissa LeBlanc, "Hyponatremia Haze: Ipilimumab, Nivolumab And Steroid Tapers"
- 2nd place Clinical Vignette Poster: Jane Babiarz, "The Cupric Culprit: A Case Of Copper Deficiency Myelopathy"
- 2nd place, Quality Improvement Research: Hayden Oldham, "A Breath Of Fresh Care: Increasing Referrals For Pulmonary Rehabilitation After Admission For Acute Exacerbation Of COPD"
- 3rd place, Quality Improvement Research: Mario Padilla, "Labile Labs And Late Results"
Dr. Carlton Scharman profiled the work he did with Drs. Joe Shatzel and Tom DeLoughery, authoring a piece in "Science Trends": "The Rise Of Bloodless Medicine: How We Treat Those Who Cannot Receive Blood Products for Religious Or Other Reasons"
Dr. Steven Amrock's work (see citation below) was profiled in "Healio" : "Racial, sex disparities persist in familial hypercholesterolemia"
Given the total number of scholarly works, the drop-down menus below include the past academic years' accomplishments, unless otherwise noted. Further lists of scholarly work can also be found archives in the prior scholarship newsletters.
- Naidoo K, Dookie N, Naidoo K, Yende-Zuma N, Chimukangara B, Bhushan A, Govender D, Gengiah S, Padayatchi N. Recurrent tuberculosis among HIV co-infected patients: A Case Series from KwaZulu-Natal. Infection and Drug Resistance. 2018 ; 11: 1413 – 1421.
- Yuan C, Fondell E, Bhushan A, Ascherio A, Okereke OI, Grodstein F, Willett WC. Long-term intake of vegetables and fruits and subjective cognitive function in US men. Neurology. 2018 Nov 21.
- Shatzel JJ, Mart D, Bien JY, Maniar A, Olson S, Liem TK, DeLoughery TG. The efficacy and safety of a catheter removal only strategy for the treatment of PICC line thrombosis versus standard of care anticoagulation: a retrospective review. J Thromb Thrombolysis. 2019 Jan 23.
- DeSalvo JC, Skiba MB, Howe CL, Haiber KE, Funk JL. Natural Product Dietary Supplement Use by Individuals with Rheumatoid Arthritis: A Scoping Review. Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken). 2018 Jul 5.
- Hayes MJ, Prasad V. Association between conflict of interest and published position on tumor-treating fields for the treatment of glioblastoma. Journal of Cancer Policy. September 2019, 21:100189.
- Herrera-Perez D, Haslam A, Crain T, Gill J, Livingston C, Kaestner V, Hayes M, Morgan D, Cifu AS, Prasad V. A comprehensive review of randomized clinical trials in three medical journals reveals 396 medical reversals. Elife. 2019 Jun 11;8. pii: e45183. doi: 10.7554/eLife.45183.
- Klug LR, Bannon AE, Javidi-Sharifi N, Town A, Fleming WH, VanSlyke JK, Musil LS, Fletcher JA, Tyner JW, Heinrich MC. LMTK3 is essential for oncogenic KIT expression in KIT-mutant GIST and melanoma. Oncogene. 2018 Sep 21.
- Johnstone C, Joiner KA, Pierce J, Krouse RS. Mohs Micrographic Surgery Volume and Payment Patterns Among Dermatologists in the Medicare Population, 2013. Am J Clin Oncol. 2018 Dec;41(12):1199-1203.
- Ketterer B, Montanaro A, Hunter A. So Much More than Bald and Bloated. J Hosp Med, published online September 28, 2018.
- Olson SR, Koprowski S, Hum J, McCarty OJT, DeLoughery TG, Shatzel JJ. Chronic liver disease, thrombocytopenia and procedural bleeding risk; are novel thrombopoietin mimetics the solution? Platelets. 2018 Nov 13:1-3.
- Lachowiez C, Kearny M, Meyers G, Maziarz RT, Cook RJ. Healthcare Expenditures of Older Patients with AML are Similar Between HMA and Intensive Induction Chemotherapy. Leuk Lymphoma. 2019 May 6:1-4.
- Lachowiez C, Cook RJ, Hayes-Lattin B, Maziarz RT, Borate U, Traer E, Leonard J, Newell L, Dao KH, Meyers G. Allogeneic transplantation outcomes amongst a contemporary cohort of high-risk myelodysplastic syndrome and acute myeloid leukemia patients aged ≥70 years. Hematol Oncol Stem Cell Ther. 2019 Mar 2. pii: S1658-3876(19)30003-2. doi: 10.1016/j.hemonc.2019.01.002.
- Stranix JT, Lee ZH, Lam G, Mirrer J, Rapp T, Saadeh PB. Limb-sparing sarcoma reconstruction with functional composite thigh flaps. Microsurgery, 2018, Vol.38(5), p.466-472.
- Reformat DD, Nores GG, Lam G, Cuzzone D, Hill JB, Muresan H, Thanik V. Outcome Analysis of Metacarpal and Phalangeal Fixation Techniques at Bellevue Hospital. Ann Plast Surg. 2018 Oct;81(4):407-410.
- Larson E, German DM, Shatzel J, DeLoughery TG. Anticoagulation in the Cardiac Patient: A Concise Review. Eur J Haematol. 2018 Sep 10.
- Lu E, Thomas GV, Chen Y, Wyatt AW, Lloyd P, Youngren J, Quigley D, Bergan R, Bailey S, Beer TM, Feng FY, Small EJ, Alumkal JJ. DNA Repair Gene Alterations and PARP Inhibitor Response in Patients With Metastatic Castration-Resistant Prostate Cancer. J Natl Compr Canc Netw. 2018 Aug;16(8):933-937. doi: 10.6004/jnccn.2018.7020.
- O'Donnell M, Shatzel JJ, Olson SR, Daughety MM, Nguyen KP, Hum J, DeLoughery TG. Arterial Thrombosis in Unusual Sites: A practical review. Eur J Haematol. 2018 Aug 21.
- Shatzel JJ, O'Donnell M, Olson SR, Kearney MR, Daughety MM, Hum J, Nguyen KP, DeLoughery TG. Venous Thrombosis in Unusual Sites: A practical review for the Hematologist. Eur J Haematol. 2018 Sep 28. doi: 10.1111/ejh.13177.
- Olson SR, Lu E, Sulpizio E, Shatzel JJ, Rueda JF, DeLoughery TG. When to Stop Eculizumab in Complement-Mediated Thrombotic Microangiopathies. Am J Nephrol. 2018 Aug 15;48(2):96-107.
- Petersen J, Lindner C, Hakki M. Incidence And Outcome Of Bacteremia During Acute Graft-Versus-Host-Disease Involving The Gastrointestinal Tract Following Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplant. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant. 2019 Apr 6. (epub ahead of print)
- Serrano C, Mariño-Enríque A, Tao DL, Ketzer J, Eilers G, Zhu M, Yu C, Mannan AM, Rubin BP, Demetri GD, Raut CP, Complementary activity of tyrosine kinase inhibitors against secondary kit mutations in imatinib-resistant gastrointestinal stromal tumours. BJC, 5 (2019): 6.
- Bien JY, Hegarty R, Chan B. Anemia in Scurvy. J Gen Intern Med. 2018 Jul 27.
- Gallastegui N, Coe RM, Torres A, Harrington TJ. Thrombocytopenia associated with high levels of inhibin. A case study. Blood Cells, Molecules and Diseases. 2019;76:22-24.
- Haraga J, LeBlanc M, Chiovaro J. Not All It's CrAg-ed Up to Be: Disseminated Cryptococcosis. Am J Med. 2018 Jul 31.
Zhang H, Paliga A, Hobbs E, Moore S, Olson S, Long N, Dao KT, Tyner JW. Two myeloid leukemia cases with rare FLT3 fusions. Cold Spring Harb Mol Case Stud. 2018 Dec 17;4(6). pii: a003079.
- Horton J, Kumthekar A. A Vanishing Entity: Rheumatoid Vasculitis. Am J Med. 2018 Nov;131(11):1310-1313.
Keyserling K, Koprowski S. Spur-Cell Anemia. N Engl J Med. 2018 Aug 23;379(8):774.
Lachowiez C, White K, Spurgeon S. Exaggerated arthropod assault: Eosinophilic dermatosis in a patient with small lymphocytic lymphoma. Clin Case Rep. 2018;00:1–3.
Liu P, Ranches GP, Gold JA. Trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole induced circulatory shock in a human immunodeficiency virus uninfected patient: a case report and review. BMC Pharmacol Toxicol. 2018 Nov 20;19(1):76.
Murphree CR, Nguyen NN, Shatzel JJ, Olson SR, Chung PD, Lockridge JB, Andeen NK, DeLoughery TG. Biopsy proven thrombotic microangiopathy without schistocytosis on peripheral blood smear: a cautionary tale. Am J Hematol. 2019 Jun 7. (epub ahead of print)
- Parsons S, Olson SR, DeLoughery TG. Inappropriate testing and treatment of Factor V Leiden and other heritable thrombophilias. Am J Med. 2019 Apr 15. (epub ahead of print).
Liew JW, Jones BL, Hunter AJ. Disseminated Herpes Simplex Masquerading as Hemophagocytic Lymphohistiocytosis: A Case Report. Perm J. 2019;23. doi: 10.7812/TPP/18-202.
- Ferguson K., O'Glasser A. (2019) Clinical Reasoning Through Pre-Operative Dyspnea: Listening to the Patient's Clues. SGIM Forum 42 (6): 4-5.
- Myers G. Lachowiez C. Aplastic Anemia: Current Treatment. Hospital Physician: Hematology/Oncology. 2019 January;14(1)
- O’Donnell M, O'Glasser A. Chest Discomfort—A Real Pain in the Neck. SGIM Forum 41 (12): 8-9.
- Scharman C, Mansoor A, O'Glasser A. Occam's Razor Vs. Hickam's Dictum: Headache in an Immunocompromised Patient. SGIM Forum 41 (9): 8-9, 11.
- “Cases from Oregon Health & Science University”. ACP Hospitalist. March 2019.
- Cai J, Sulpizio E, Fay E, Heinrich M. Parvovirus-induced red-cell aplasia.
- Burnett J, Manley K. Piro K. Septic right-heart thromboembolus
- Elg-Salsman W, Brady A. Pulmonary aspergillosis
- Grovenburg M, Clements J, Shatzel J. T-cell large granulocytic leukemia.
- Lewis J, Flaxel C. Ocular syphilis.
- Chapa J, Haslam A, Prasad V. Interpreting the Effectiveness of Cancer Screening From National Population Statistics: Is It Sound Practice? Mayo Clin Proc. June 2019;94(6):951-956.
- Nishikawa G, Luo J, Prasad V. A comprehensive review of exceptional responders to anticancer drugs in the biomedical literature. European Journal of Cancer 101 (2018) 143e151.
- Tao D, Prasad V. Choice of control group in randomised trials of cancer medicine: are we testing trivialities? Lancet Oncol. 2018 Sep;19(9):1150-1152.
- Tao D, Schott S, Prasad V. The tradeoff of cancer drug regulatory policy: Faster approvals for one means less knowledge for another. Am J Med. 2018 Sep 7.
Chandrashekar P. Sex and Gender Differences in Cardiovascular Disease, 2018. In: Vasan R., Sawyer, D.(eds.) The Encyclopedia of Cardiovascular Research and Medicine, vol., pp. 351-367.
- Tao D. Episode 1.05 Cost and Efficacy of Cancer Drugs, ECHELON-1, Dr. Derrick Tao, and EBM with Dr. Martha Gerrity. “Plenary Session: a Podcast on Medicine, Oncology, & Health Policy”. September 2018.
- Chapa J. Episode 1.64 Effectiveness of Cancer Screening with Dr. Joaquin Chapa and POLO with Dr. Emerson Chen. “Plenary Session: a Podcast on Medicine, Oncology, & Health Policy”. June 2019.
Oregon ACP (November 2018):
- Dr. Joel Burnett, “An Unnerving Situation” (FIRST PLACE)
- Dr. R. Logan Jones, “This Case is Nuts” (THIRD PLACE)
NW SGIM (February 2019):
- Dr. Hunter Spencter (Top Ranked Vignette), “Bile Case Nephropathy”
Oregon Gut Club Preliminary Round (September 2018):
- Dr. Namisha Thapa, "Hereditary Angioedema Related Pancreatitis with Rapid Improvement After C1 Inhibitor Administration"
- Dr. Steven Koprowski, “Abdominal Pain in an Elderly Male”
Oregon Gut Club Preliminary Round (September 2018):
- Dr. Steven Koprowski: “Abdominal Pain in an Elderly Male”
IDSO (November 2018):
- Dr. Ashray Maniar, “An Unintended Donation”
OHSU Research Week (May 2019):
- Dr. Steven Koprowski, Hepatology Referral Rates of Patients with Suspected High-Risk NAFLD Undergoing Evaluation for Bariatric Surgery are Low”
UME Colleges Learning Communities Program Inaugural Intern Boot Camp Workshop (Winter 2019)
- Drs. James Kornfield, Anna Stecher, Ashray Maniar, Cara Levin, Bethany Collins, Pranav Chandrashekar, and Jenna Peterson. “Surviving and thriving on nights”
OHSU 26th Annual Internal Medicine Review (April 2019):
- Dr. Cara Levin, “Improving Cognitive Assessments in Dementia Patients
- Dr. Cat Murphree, “Literature Review: Hematology
National ACP (April 2019):
- Dr. Joel Burnett, “Elsberg Syndrome: an infectious cause of cauda equina syndrome”
- Dr. Ashray Maniar, “Double Trouble After Sleeve Gastrectomy”
NW SGIM (February 2018):
- Dr. Joel Burnett, “POCUS on the move in internal medicine! Diagnosis of infected thrombus in transit”
- Dr. Joel Burnett, “Elsberg Syndrome: an infectious cause of cauda equina syndrome”-- AWARD WINNER
- Dr. Melissa Choi, “Impact of Centralization of Post-Hospitalization Discharge Follow-Up Calls at the Portland Veterans Administration Medical Center”
- Dr. David Ellis, “A rare case of myelomatous infiltration of the cauda equine”
- Dr. Kaleb Keyserling, “Call Me Maybe? Improving Utilization of Telemedicine in a VA Resident Clinic”
- Dr. Justin Lewis, “Sit up and shunt up! The Liver Patient with Dyspnea”
- Dr. Alina Plavsky, “Statins in Liver Disease: Oh the Pain”
- Dr. Jenna Petersen, “An evidence based practice process to provide consistent with acute pancreatitis across a health system”
CHEST (October 2018):
- Dr. Kelsi Manley, et al. "Persistent Post-Obstructive Pneumonia and Contrast-Enhancing Endobronchial Lesion: Foreign Body Retrieval in Adults"
ACG (October 2018):
- Dr. Namisha Thapa, et al. "Psychiatric Comorbidities and Recent Narcotic Use are Independently Associated with Dyssynergistic Defecation in Patients with Chronic Constipation".
The Liver Meeting (November 2018):
- Dr. Jessica Haraga, et al. “"Regional and National Comparison of Obesity Prevalence and Representation on the Liver Transplant Waiting List"
ASH (December 2018):
- Dr. Ashray Manier, Dr. Jeffrey Bien, et al. "The Efficacy and Safety of a Catheter Removal Only Strategy for the Treatment of PICC Line Thrombosis Vs Standard of Care Anticoagulation: A Retrospective Review"
- Dr. Max Gordon, “Dual Inhibition of Bruton's Tyrosine Kinase and BCL2: A Promising Therapeutic Strategy for Myeloid and Lymphoid Leukemias”
- Dr. Max Gordon. “Impact of Individual Comorbidities on Treatment Outcomes in Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia”
OHSU Blood Management (April 2019):
- Dr. Ashray Maniar, Dr. Jeffrey Bien, et al. “Pull and pray: A catheter removal-only strategy for the treatment of PICC-line associated thrombosis”
- Dr. Cat Murphree, et al. “Bleeding and thrombotic outcomes in anticoagulant free extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO): a systematic review”
American Geriatrics Society (May 2019):
- Dr. Joel Burnett. “Calcium-alkali Syndrome in Older Adults: Where Disposition for Disease Meets polypharmacy”
National SGIM (May 2019):
- Dr. Kaleb Keyserling, Dr. Jared Huber, "Call Me Maybe? Improving Utilization Of Telemedicine In A VA Resident Clinic"
- Dr. Chris Terndrup, Dr. Joel Burnett, “Elsberg Syndrome: an infectious cause of cauda equina syndrome”
24th Congress of the European Hematology Association (June 2019):
- Dr. Max Gordon, Impact of comorbidities on outcome of therapy with idelalisib (IDELA), a Phosphoinotiside-3 Kinase-Delta Inhibitor, in relapsed or refractory Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia (CLL)
DDW (May 2019):
- Dr. Justin Lewis, Acute Liver Failure in a Patient with Dengue Shock Syndrome
ATS (May 2019):
- Dr. Kevin Ducey, When ARDS May Not Be ARDS
- Shatzel JJ, Mart D, Bien JY, Maniar A, Olson R, Liem T, DeLoughery TG. The Efficacy and Safety of a Catheter Removal Only Strategy for the Treatment of PICC Line Thrombosis Vs Standard of Care Anticoagulation: A Retrospective Review. Blood 2018 132:1250; doi: https://doi.org/10.1182/blood-2018-99-115432.
- Eide CA, Gordon MJ, et al. Dual Inhibition of Bruton's Tyrosine Kinase and BCL2: A Promising Therapeutic Strategy for Myeloid and Lymphoid Leukemias. Blood 2018 132:214;
- Gordon MJ, et al. Impact of Individual Comorbidities on Treatment Outcomes in Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia. Blood 2018 132:4848.
2019 Celebrating Achievements in Resident Scholarship Grand Rounds
- Drs. Ambika Bhushan, Joel Burnett, Logan Jones, Patricia Liu, Ashray Maniar, Hunter Spencer
- Drs. Jessica Dreicer, Bruce Kaufman, Max Gordon, Taylor Myers
- Drs. Bailey Pope, Kellie Littlefield, Drew Oehler, Katie Thilo
- Also available as narrative powerpoint presentation here
- Drs. Jeffrey Bien, Curtis Lachowiez, Milla Kviatkovsky, Wendy Tseng
- Drs. Briana Ketterer, Renee Honeyfield, Michael Loudin, Jia Luo
- Drs. Drew Oehler, Kevin Piro, Bryn McGhee, Matthew Richardson, Linda Wang, David Serota
- Drs. Stephen Mehanni, Megan Moody, Matthew Richards, Leah Wilson