The OHSU Internal Medicine Residency Program offers a learning environment that balances the personal and professional needs of our house staff. We are strongly committed to resident education, excellence in clinical care, and scholarly activities.
To develop physician leaders who heal through high-quality care, compassion, community engagement and discovery.
To provide a diverse and individualized training environment that encourages evidence-based medicine, rigorous inquiry, team-based interdisciplinary collaboration and resident wellness to ultimately provide exceptional patient care.
The Department of Medicine offers a categorical three year resident training program in Internal Medicine with an optional primary care elective track. Residents rotate through the OHSU Hospital and Clinics, the adjacent Veterans Affairs Medical Center, and various community sites. We currently have 34 positions in the PGY-1 level, and 33 positions in the PGY-2 & PGY-3 levels.
The program emphasizes academic excellence throughout the training experience, offering a learning environment that balances the personal and professional needs of our house staff. Residents divide their time among general medicine and subspecialty ward services, intensive care units, ambulatory care experiences, consultation rotations, emergency rooms and long-term care settings. The primary care track places additional emphasis on ambulatory care, behavioral medicine and geriatrics; and experiences in related areas such as gynecology, dermatology and medical orthopedics.
The Department of Medicine faculty are strongly committed to resident education, excellence in clinical care and clinical and basic science research.
2019-20 application period
We will be accepting intern applications for the 2020-2021 academic year September 15 - October 1, 2019 via ERAS. We use 3rd party software (Thalamus) to manage our interview scheduling.
- Applicant Information & Resources (Interview Schedule, Application FAQ's, Program FAQ's, Travel Resources)
- People (Leadership, Current Housestaff, Recent Graduate Destinations)
- Program (Curriculum, Facilities, Primary Care, Global Health, Electives)
- Scholarship (Resident scholarly, how to and more)
- Portland & Oregon (About and information resources)
- Facts about OHSU, OHSU Healthcare by the Numbers, OHSU Awards and Recognition
We currently have no openings in our residency program (2018-19 academic year). Intern positions are filled via ERAS and the Match.
Give to the OHSU IM Residency Program
The OHSU Internal Medicine Residency Program strengthens housestaff excellence by encouraging involvement in scholarly activities, professional organizations, research and more.
Gifts to the Thomas F. Cooney MD Endowed Fund for Excellence in Resident Education helps to support these activities.
Recent examples of support include:
- Travel and housing costs for both primary care and global health rotations
- Subsidy for residents toward ACP membership
- Support of wellness-related activities
- Expenses related to evening curricular events for residents (e.g., Journal Club)
Our residents thank you for your past and future support.
Department of Medicine
Office of Educational Programs
Mail code OP-30
3181 SW Sam Jackson Park Rd
Portland OR 97239-3098
phone: 503 494-8530
fax: 503 494-5636