The FSS program requires 49 credits of coursework at a tuition rate of $729 per credit. The table below is a quarterly tuition estimate for a full-time student in program. This estimate does not include costs for major medical and dental insurance, books, living expenses, or other costs incurred while in graduate school. These costs are, however, included in the estimated cost of the program for financial aid purposes and so financial aid can be used to cover the expenses.
Financial aid and scholarships
We realize that graduate school is a major financial commitment. All students enrolled in the Food Systems and Society program are eligible to apply for Federal financial aid. More information and application details are available on the Office of Student Financial Aid website.
Priority applications will be considered for scholarship funding, OHSU scholarship funding is intended to increase student diversity. To be eligible, students must meet two of the OHSU diversity criteria. These are: racial or ethnic minority underrepresented at OHSU; first-generation college student; history of receiving public support; history of receiving educational support or accommodations; resident of rural Oregon. This information is collected during the application process and those who apply will be automatically considered.
We encourage prospective students to seek outside funding that may be relevant to their areas. Below is a sample of food systems-related scholarship opportunities.
- Career-Specific Scholarships (list)
- Annie’s Sustainable Agriculture Scholarships
- The Asparagus Club (for students interested in independent retail grocery industry)
- Brower Youth Awards
- Byron Hanke Fellowship
- Davis-Putter Scholarship Fund
- Food and Agricultural Sciences National Needs Graduate and Postgraduate Fellowship (NNF) Grants Program
- Food Science and Human Nutrition Scholarships (list)
- Garden Club of America Scholarships (for students whose interests span plant science)
- Human Rights Careers Scholarships (list)
- National Garden Clubs Scholarship
- National Grocers Association Scholarships (list for students interested in independent retail grocery industry)
- Native Agriculture and Food Systems Initiative Scholarship Program
- North American Food Systems Network (list)
- Organic Crop Improvement Association Scholarships
- Public Health Scholarships (list)