Our training program focuses on the interface of behavior and biological mechanisms. The broad spectrum of research expertise in genetic, cellular, molecular and systems neuroscience complements our expertise in behavioral neuroscience and provides our students with a unique environment to pursue their graduate training. We integrate our diverse interests through the highly collaborative structure and collegiality of our program.
Apply to our program
The deadline for applications for Fall 2023 admission is December 1, 2022.
We have one application period per year. For an interview opportunity, you should hear from us by early January 2023. Please contact us (BSNGradStudies@ohsu.edu), if you would like to check on the status of your application
- Bachelor's degree (or equivalent) from an accredited college or university with an appropriate educational background in behavioral and biological sciences. Relevant coursework includes biochemistry, organic chemistry, physiology, neuroscience, anatomy, psychology, statistics, and computer programming. Applicants are encouraged to have completed at least two semesters/terms of chemistry prior to submittal of their application to our program.
- Cumulative Grade Point (GPA) average of at least 3.0 (based on a letter grading system of A = 4 points; B = 3; C = 2; D = 1; F = 0) or its equivalent in other grading systems.
- If English is not your first language, Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the English Language Testing System (IELTS) is required.
OHSU COVID-19 Vaccine Requirement
OHSU requires immunizations for its students in accordance with recommendations from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and from the State of Oregon. Students must comply with OHSU pre-entrance immunization requirements per Policy 03-30-150 and Policy 02-90-010, and remain in compliance for the duration of their enrollment at OHSU.
This means that all admitted students must provide proof of full COVID-19 immunization or receive an approved medical or religious exception prior to the start of the academic program. Admission into OHSU academic programs are considered conditional until proof of full vaccination is provided or a medical or religious exception is approved by OHSU. If students have not met the COVID-19 policy requirements by the first day of their academic program, their conditional offer of admission to OHSU will be withdrawn and they will be unable to take courses or start their programs of study or other academic activities.
Students admitted into non-clinical programs who have received exceptions will be required to complete COVID-19 testing as specified by OHSU and will receive additional direction related to required safety standards and practices. OHSU does not allow unvaccinated students to participate in in-person direct patient contact or in simulation activities involving in-person direct contact with standardized patients, and as such, entry into clinical programs for unvaccinated students will be prohibited.
- GRE scores are not required. However, if you have taken a GRE test and if the scores can help demonstrate your academic proficiency, feel free to submit your scores.
- OHSU's Graduate Studies approves application fee waivers for applicants who are economically disadvantaged. Request a waiver by contacting email@example.com before submitting your application.
- Students admitted to our program can expect to be supported as graduate research assistants by a federally funded research training grant, by departmental funds, or by individual faculty research grants. For additional financial support information, see our PhD student stipend policy 2021-2022.