The Brain Research Awareness and Information Network (BRAINet) is the volunteer outreach organization of the OHSU Brain Institute (OBI). BRAINet's mission is to foster awareness and support for OBI and for neuroscience research by educating the public and engaging in community interaction.
BRAINet Lecture Luncheons
The flagship outreach component of BRAINet is a monthly lecture luncheon with a neuroscience researcher or clinician from OHSU. These events happen the third Monday of every month, unless there is a conflict with a holiday. The cost is $25 for members and $30 for non-members, and includes a three-course plated meal.
The lecture luncheons have typically taken place in person at the Multnomah Athletic Club, however we've had to modify our outreach efforts for the sake of public health in the midst of COVID-19. We are pleased to offer the lectures virtually at no cost. All lectures are from 12 noon - 1 p.m. Below you will find links to the recent virtual lectures:
- June 15, 2020: Jeffrey Kaye, M.D. - "Advancing Assessment and Therapy for Alzheimer's Disease & Related Disorders: A Digital Transformation"
- Password: rWhCsEa8
- July 20, 2020: Alan Teo, M.D., M.S. - "Social Connections and Mental Health: An Increasing Imperative in the Time of COVID-19"
- Password: cMZJkPv3
- August 17, 2020: Marian Dale, M.D. - "Magnets on the Brain: How to help you stay balanced with Parkinsonism"
- Password: RpC4c9kC
- September 21, 2020: Atheir Abbas, M.D., Ph.D. - "Schizophrenia: What's wrong and how can we fix it?"
- Password: KgppZng5
- October 19, 2020: Sará King, Ph.D. - "The Science of Social Justice: A New Paradigm of Community-based Medicine"
- Password: CqpZm78m
- November 16, 2020: Marissa Kellogg, M.D., M.P.H - "Seize the Day! Epilepsy and Seizures 101"
- Password: MiMFMmn8
BRAINet Membership Benefits
BRAINet provides you the opportunity to connect with and promote neuroscience. Here are just a few examples of the benefits of joining our membership:
- Attend the monthly BRAINet lecture luncheons at the member rate to hear fascinating presentations by faculty members of OHSU, and engage in stimulating conversation with other BRAINet members during the luncheon.
- Volunteer at Brain Awareness lectures and numerous other public and by-invitation-only events.
- Attend the BRAINet Annual Meeting and vote in elections of Officers and the Board. Further engage as a member up for election in a leadership position.
- Volunteer at the Brain Library at the Center for Health & Healing to help patients and their families find information on neurology-related diseases and disorders.
- Receive early invitations to public and members-only OBI and OHSU events and tours.
- Connect with advocacy groups for brain diseases, and help them access the resources of the OBI.
- Meet renowned national and international neuroscientists while learning about the latest research among enjoyable and bright peers.
- Make a difference while having fun! As a BRAINet member, your donation of time or treasure is held in special regard.
Become a BRAINet Member
You can play an important part in generating enthusiasm for brain research and, most importantly, in making vital connections within the community.
Membership is for the fiscal year (July-June). At this time we are not able to accept credit card payment for membership dues.
A subsidized membership fee is available to new members who join half-way through the year. Contact Kate Stout for more information.
You can mail a check or money order made out to "OHSU Foundation" with your complete contact information (including email) to:
Attn: Kate Stout
OHSU Brain Institute
3181 S.W. Sam Jackson Park Road, MC CR120
Portland, OR 97239
You will receive a confirmation email and an update on current activities upon receipt. Amounts given above $25 are considered a gift to OHSU Foundation and are tax-deductible.
|BRAINet Membership Levels|
The BRAINet's Synapse monthly e-newsletter is an opportunity for you to stay in touch with BRAINet. We provide information about our monthly lecture luncheons, special event invitations for members, an update on OHSU neuroscience in the news, and other timely announcements. Please use the form below to sign up for this e-newsletter: