About Dr. Huang
Dr. Emily (Yueng-hsiang) Huang received her Ph.D. in Industrial-Organizational Psychology/Systems Science from Portland State University. During her more than 20 years as an occupational safety and health researcher and consultant, she has published over 80 peer-reviewed journal articles, 6 book chapters, more than 100 worldwide conference presentations/proceedings and has provided recommendations to numerous occupational safety and health practitioners. She is a Fellow of the American Psychological Association (APA) and the Society for Industrial-Organizational Psychology (SIOP) and has held a position as Associate Editor for the journal of Accident Analysis and Prevention since 2009.
Safety Climate is a leading indicator of safety outcomes. Workplace safety climate reflects what happens when the rubber (safety decisions or policies) meets the road (competing demands, such as production and delivery deadlines). We will bring a holistic view/systems approach to the study of what is next after conducting organizational climate surveys, and develop and validate various organizational climate and culture safety interventions.
- A systematic review of the safety climate intervention literature: Past trends and future directions. Lee J, Huang YH, Cheung JH, Chen Z, Shaw WS. J Occup Health Psychol. 2019: 10.1037/ocp0000113. PMID: 29697992
- Does talking the talk matter? Effects of supervisor safety communication and safety climate on long-haul truckers' safety performance. Huang YH, Sinclair RR, Lee J, McFadden AC, Cheung JH, Murphy LA. Accid Anal Prev. 2018 Aug;117:357-367. doi: 10.1016/j.aap.2017.09.006. Epub 2018 Feb 28. PMID:29500055
- A sociotechnical systems approach to enhance safety climate in the trucking industry: Development of a methodology. Murphy LA, Robertson MM, Huang YH, Jeffries S, Dainoff MJ. Appl Ergon. 2018 Jan;66:82-88. doi: 10.1016/j.apergo.2017.08.001. Epub 2017 Aug 29. PMID: 28958433
- A sociotechnical systems approach to enhance safety climate in the trucking industry: Results of an in-depth investigation. Murphy LA, Huang YH, Robertson MM, Jeffries S, Dainoff MJ. Appl Ergon. 2018 Jan;66:70-81. doi: 10.1016/j.apergo.2017.08.002. Epub 2017 Aug 29. PMID: 28958432
- Use of portable ladders - field observations and self-reported safety performance in the cable TV industry. Chang WR, Huang YH, Brunette C, Lee J. Ergonomics. 2017 Nov;60(11):1540-1550. doi: 10.1080/00140139.2017.1332392. Epub 2017 Jul 14. PMID: 28705111
- Improvements in musculoskeletal health and computing behaviors: Effects of a macroergonomics office workplace and training intervention. Robertson MM, Huang YH, Lee J. Appl Ergon. 2017 Jul;62:182-196. doi: 10.1016/j.apergo.2017.02.017. Epub 2017 Apr 6. PMID: 28411728
- An item-response theory approach to safety climate measurement: The Liberty Mutual Safety Climate Short Scales. Huang YH, Lee J, Chen Z, Perry M, Cheung JH, Wang M. Accid Anal Prev. 2017 Jun;103:96-104. doi: 10.1016/j.aap.2017.03.015. Epub 2017 Apr 7. PMID: 28391093
- Individual employee's perceptions of " Group-level Safety Climate" (supervisor referenced) versus " Organization-level Safety Climate" (top management referenced): Associations with safety outcomes for lone workers. Huang YH, Lee J, McFadden AC, Rineer J, Robertson MM. Accid Anal Prev. 2017 Jan;98:37-45. doi: 10.1016/j.aap.2016.09.016. Epub 2016 Sep 28. PMID: 27685174
- Straight ladder inclined angle in a field environment: the relationship among actual angle, method of set-up and knowledge. Chang WR, Huang YH, Chang CC, Brunette C, Fallentin N. Ergonomics. 2016 Aug;59(8):1100-8. doi: 10.1080/00140139.2015.1115897. Epub 2016 Mar 23. PMID: 26672809
- Beyond safety outcomes: An investigation of the impact of safety climate on job satisfaction, employee engagement and turnover using social exchange theory as the theoretical framework. Huang YH, Lee J, McFadden AC, Murphy LA, Robertson MM, Cheung JH, Zohar D. Appl Ergon. 2016 Jul;55:248-257. doi: 10.1016/j.apergo.2015.10.007. Epub 2015 Nov 21. PMID: 26611987