About Our Services
The Hemangioma and Vascular Birthmarks Clinic at OHSU specializes in treatment of infants, children and adults with vascular lesions and birthmarks. This is a clinic formed to address the needs of patients with these complex lesions, and includes doctors and nurse practitioners from a variety of specialties, such as Dermatology (skin), Surgery (Head and Neck Surgery and Plastic Surgery), Hematology, and Interventional Radiology. The clinic is under the direction of Carol MacArthur, M.D. (Pediatric Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery) and Alison Small, M.D., (Pediatric Dermatology). Other members include Gary Nesbit, M.D. (Department of Interventional Radiology), John Kaufman, M.D. (Department of Interventional Radiology), Melinda Wu, M.D. (Pediatric Hematology), Monica Deshpande, N.P. (Pediatric Otolaryngology), Lori Howell, M.D. (Plastic Surgery), Andrew Phelps, M.D. (Diagnostic Radiology). Other specialists are available by referral from the departments of Otolaryngology (Facial Plastic Surgery), Ophthalmology (Eye), Hematology/Oncology (Blood/Cancer), Neurosurgery (Brain and Spine), Pediatrics, Vascular Surgery, Pediatric Surgery, and Orthopedic (bones) Surgery.
Vascular birthmarks (such as hemangiomas, vascular malformations, and lymphatic malformations) can be difficult to diagnose properly if one is not familiar with these lesions. Up to 50-60% of these lesions are diagnosed incorrectly, or are mistreated. While the uncomplicated hemangioma may be watched expectantly until it begins to involute (curve or turn inward), early intervention is often necessary and very beneficial for the more aggressive and complex vascular lesions. Our clinic provides the expertise to properly diagnose and recommend and provide treatment and/or intervention for these lesions. Patients with these lesions often have to try to coordinate care between the many specialists they see. By seeing several specialists in one visit to our clinic, your care can be coordinated and improved. Our clinic, in association with Doernbecher Children's Hospital and OHSU, offers the latest advances in diagnostic, medical, laser, and surgical technology including:
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and Computer Tomographic (CT) imaging, including Magnetic Resonance Angiography (MRA), and Computed Tomographic Angiography (CTA)
- Angiography and embolization with particulate and liquid embolic agents
- Sclerotherapy (ethanol, doxycycline, bleomycin, and others)
- Medical treatments, such as Propranolol for hemangiomas and Sirolimus for vascular malformations (venous and lymphatic)
- Surface and intralesional laser therapy, using pulsed dye, KTP, Nd:YAG, and carbon dioxide lasers
- Multi-disciplinary surgical resection with pre or intra-operative sclerotherapy and/or embolization
- Genetic testing for personalized medical treatment
We diagnose and treat:
- Hemangiomas (infantile) and congenital hemangiomas (NICH, RICH, PICH)
- Vascular malformations (venous malformations, arterio-venous malformations/AVM's, port-wine stains)
- Lymphatic malformations (sometimes called cystic hygromas)
- Hemangioendotheliomas (Kaposiform)
- Tufted angiomas
- Kasabach-Merritt syndrome
- Klippel-Trenaunay Syndrome
- Other syndromes involving vascular anomalies
Some of our procedures:
- Laser ablation
- Injection of sclerosing agents
- Surgical excision and reconstructive surgery
- Angiographic and percutaneous embolization
Some of the specialized equipment we use:
- Pulsed dye lasers
- CO2 lasers
- Nd/YAG lasers
- KTP lasers
How to Make an Appointment
Please contact our office regarding scheduling appointments. Prior to scheduling an appointment, our providers often need to review chart notes related to the reason you want to be seen in order to coordinate any additional tests they may need in order to make the most of your visit. In some cases, we will require a referral from your primary care physician. We would be happy to discuss this with you to ensure we have all we need to expedite the scheduling process. Please contact us by phone or email to begin the process.
Phone: OHSU Hemangioma and Vascular Birthmarks Clinic 503-494-5350
Our doctors and nurse practitioner see patients in the Physician's Pavilion and Doernbecher Children's Hospital in the main OHSU campus.
- Monica Deshpande, F.N.P.
- Nurse practitioner
- Otolaryngology (ENT), Pediatrics and Hemangiomas and Vascular Birthmarks Portland
- John A. Kaufman, M.D., MS
- Cancer, Radiology and Interventional Radiology
- Sabra L. Leitenberger, M.D.
- Dermatology, Pediatrics and Dermatology (Pediatric) Lake Oswego and Portland
- Carol J. MacArthur, M.D.
- Pediatric Otolaryngologist
- Surgery, Otolaryngology (ENT) and Pediatrics Portland
- Reid V. Mueller, M.D.
- Associate Professor of Surgery
- Cancer, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery and Plastic Surgery Portland
- Gary M. Nesbit, M.D.
- Neurological Surgery, Radiology and Cerebrovascular
- Alison Small, M.D.
- Melinda Wu, M.D., M.C.R.
- Lori K. Howell, M.D., F.A.A.P.
- Assistant Professor of Surgery
- Pediatrics, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery and Cleft Lip and Palate Portland
- Andrew Phelps, M.D.
- Pediatric Radiologist