OHSU has the academic richness and scientific depth to support a successful Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility (REI) Fellowship. Historically, OHSU has had a large footprint in the reproductive medicine world.
The REI Fellowship program at OHSU started in 2018 after a history of clinical, academic, and research advancements. Dr. Leon Speroff, a previous chairman of Ob/Gyn at OHSU, wrote the definitive textbook in Reproductive Endocrinology that residents and fellows have used for the past 30 years. OHSU has also made fundamental advances in basic reproductive science through collaborations with the Oregon National Primate Research Center. Dr. Richard Stouffer, Reproductive Sciences Division Director at ONPRC, has performed research that has led to discoveries in contraception, follicular maturation, ovulation, and corpus luteum formation, function, and demise during the menstrual cycle and early pregnancy. The first IVF case in Oregon in was performed at OHSU in the 1980s. Most recently, the REI faculty members have published sentinel papers in journals such as Nature and Cell involving micro-manipulation of gametes and embryonic stem cells.
The overall educational objective for the REI Fellowship is to train outstanding leaders in Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility, capable of contributing to the field and continuing OHSU's legacy. Given the breadth of unique research experiences and robust clinical training at OHSU, upon completion of fellowship we will have trained exceptionally well-rounded REI physicians.
Fellowship Mission Statement
The mission of the Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility (REI) Fellowship at Oregon Health and Science University is to train outstanding leaders in REI with knowledge and skills to contribute as clinicians, researchers, educators, and advocates. We strive to create a learning environment that is intellectually stimulating, inclusive, and collegial where the trainee develops personally, as well as professionally, in alignment with the University’s triple aims of healing, teaching, and discovery.
- Provide outstanding clinical training in all aspects of REI including reproductive surgery, assisted reproductive technologies (In vitro fertilization), and management in endocrinopathies at a level to serve as a consultant for general ob gyns and other physicians,
- Provide training in basic science and clinical research that allows the fellow to assess and contribute to scientific literature in the future, and to be a competitive candidate for academic REI positions,
- Train physicians who exemplify professionalism and compassion, and
- Train physicians who are active in their local, regional, and national communities
- Fellows will gain exposure and training in a variety of clinical areas including IVF, surgical training, and subspecialty training including pediatric endocrinology, medical endocrinology, male fertility, and genetics
- Fellows teach residents and health professional students and have the opportunity to develop and strengthen mentorship skills
- Access to research facilities including the Oregon National Primate Research Center and Stem OHSU Center for Embryonic Cell and Gene Therapy Laboratories
- Mentorship from the REI faculty as well as providers and researchers from Ob/Gyn, Endocrinology, Diabetes and Clinical Nutrition, Urology, and Pediatrics
All required residency education for entry into ACGME-accredited fellowship programs must be completed in an ACGME-accredited residency program, or in an RCPSC-accredited or CFPC-accredited program located in Canada.
Applicant must be legally able to work in the U.S., or eligible to obtain work authorization.
ERAS Application Deadline: May 2, 2022.
Applications are considered complete when we receive the following (items which must be submitted through ERAS):
- ERAS Application
- Official Transcripts
- MSPE (Dean's Letter)
- Personal Statement
- ECFMG (if visa sponsorship is required)
- 3 letters of recommendation (1 must be from your OBGYN Residency Program Director; 1 should be from an REI faculty member, if applicable)
Email CREOG scores in PDF format to Fatima Salas, please note "REI Applicant" in subject heading: email@example.com