Resources & Information
Learn about common exposures and poison hazards in our everyday environment and how to prevent or minimize the risk of exposure. If you or a loved one is experiencing a poisoning, call the poison center at 1-800-222-1222 for fast, free, confidential help.
- Bites & Stings - Some animal bites and insect stings are poisonous. Learn more about the types of creatures that bite and sting in Oregon, Alaska and Guam and what do if you suspect an exposure.
- Coronavirus Related Poisonings & Information related to unsafe treatments and remedies, as well as household cleaning safety reminders.
- Drug Poisoning and Overdose - The intentional and unintentional toxic exposure to legal and illicit drugs result in injury and death of children, teens and adults in our service area every year. Learn more about common and emerging drugs of abuse and the resources available for preventing injury.
- E-Cigarettes & Vaping - Nicotine addiction, harmful chemical additives, battery explosions causing injury, acute nicotine poisoning and vaping related lung injury have all been linked to use of e-cigarettes and vaping.
- Environmental Poisons - Air, water and soil sometimes become contaminated with toxins that make us sick. These contaminants, like carbon monoxide, heavy metals, and waterborne toxins, can be naturally occurring or the result of industrial or man-made impact to the environment.
- Household Products - Everyday household items can become poisonous when used by the wrong person in the wrong way. Batteries, laundry packets, cleaners, chemicals and personal care products can cause harm when ingested, inhaled, or spilled or splashed on the skin or in the eyes. Learn more about how to prevent these types of poisonings.
- Medicine-Related Poisonings & Overdose - Used in the wrong way, by the wrong person or in the wrong amount, prescription and over-the-counter medicine can be harmful leading to injury and death. Learn more about the medicine in your home and how to use, store, and dispose of it to keep your family safe.
- Pet Poisonings - Learn about how to take steps to prevent pet poisonings and what to do if they come into contact with a poisonous substance.
- Plants & Mushrooms - Learn more about toxic plants that grow in Oregon, Alaska and Guam and what to do prevent poisonings.
- Seasonal Poisoning Hazards - Each season brings a unique poisoning hazards. Read more about the hazards associated with each season and how to reduce the risk of poisoning.