About Dr. Bowles
Dr. Bowles graduated with her Ph.D. from Rockefeller University and went on to earn a master's in clinical epidemiology from Weill Cornell Medical College as a Health Disparities and Community Engagement Research Fellow. Dr. Bowles who joined Dr. Shea's laboratory in August 2016 is currently funded by a Ford Foundation Fellowship.
Stress is a challenge for almost every worker, and Nicole continues her work on stress and the endocannabinoid system in humans. Broadly her research focuses on the interplay between stress, endogenous circadian rhythms, and the endocannabinoid system in humans.
Effects of acute and chronic stress, mediated in part by glutamate and glucocorticoids as well as other molecules. These effects follow an “inverted U shape” curve in dose and time. The time line shows how acute and chronic stress and aging interact with the intensity and duration of stressor.
- Separate and interacting effects of the endogenous circadian system and behaviors on plasma aldosterone in humans. Thosar SS, Rueda JF, Berman AM, Lasarev MR, Herzig MX, Clemons NA, Roberts SA, Bowles NP, Emens JS, Ellison DH, Shea SA. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2018 Dec 6. doi: 10.1152/ajpregu.00314.2018. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 30521366
- Chronotherapy for Hypertension. Bowles N.P., Thosar S.S., Herzig M.X. and Shea S.A. Current hypertension reports.11 (2018): 97
- Role of fatty acid amide hydrolase (FAAH) in the leptin-mediated effects on feeding and energy balance. Balsevich G., Sticht M., Bowles N.P., Singh A., Lee T.T., Li Z., Chelikani P.K., Lee F.S., Borgland S.L., Hillard C.J., McEwen B.S., Hill M.N. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. 29 (2018): 7605-7610.
- Lowest perceived exertion in the late morning due to effects of the endogenous circadian system. Thosar S.S., Herzig M.X., Roberts S.A., Berman A.M., Clemons N.A., McHill A.W., Bowles N.P., Morimoto M., Butler M.P., Emens J.S. and Shea S.A. Br J Sports Med. (2018):bjsports-2018.
- Recent legalization of cannabis use: effects on sleep, health, and workplace safety. Bowles N.P., Herzig M.X., Shea S.A. Nature and science of sleep. 9 (2017): 249
- Trouble in transit: Organizational barriers to workers' health. Bowles NP, McEwen BS, Boutin-Foster C. Am J Ind Med. 2017 Apr;60(4):350-367. doi: 10.1002/ajim.22701. Epub 2017 Mar 6. PMID: 28262973