The Oregon Healthy Workforce Center supports external and internal research in the areas of Total Worker Health®. Proposals to the Pilot Program have aligned with OHWC's theme and goals as a NIOSH Center of Excellence. In addition to a strong research design with a significant applied focus, proposals have addressed strategic goals in a NIOSH National Occupational Research Agenda (NORA) sector area.
2023-2024 Pilot Project Program
Our call for proposals to the 2023-2024 Pilot Project Program has closed. Stay tuned for information on awarded projects.
- A natural experiment for the impact of schedules on sleep, health, and safety in firefighters (Nicole Bowles*)
- Community of Practice and Safety Support-Tailored for Pain Management (COMPASS-TPM; Ryan Olson*)
Publication: Olson, R., Hess, J. A., Turk, D., Marino, M., Greenspan, L., Alley, L., . . . Rice, S. P. M. (2023). COMMunity of Practice And Safety Support for Navigating Pain (COMPASS-NP): study protocol for a randomized controlled trial with home care workers. Trials, 24(1), 264. doi:10.1186/s13063-023-07149-8
- Pilot-testing the feasibility of a Total Worker Health interpersonal burnout intervention (David Hurtado* & Abigail Lenhart#)
Publication: Hurtado DA, Greenspan SA, Valenzuela S, McGinnis W, Everson T, Lenhart A. Promise and perils of leader-employee check-ins in reducing emotional exhaustion in primary care clinics: quasi-experimental and qualitative evidence. Mayo Clinic Proceedings, DOI:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mayocp.2022.12.012
All pilot projects have transitioned to full-scale funded research projects in OHWC’s 2021-2026 cycle.
*Oregon Institute of Occupational Health Sciences, OHSU
#OHSU School of Medicine
- Feasibility of a Brief Mindfulness Intervention on Hospice Care Worker Safety and Well-being (Lorann Stallones & Morgan Valley, Colorado State University)
Publication: Valley, M. A., & Stallones, L. (2021). Impact of a Mindfulness Intervention on Hospice Care Worker Safety and Well-Being. OBM Integrative and Complementary Medicine, 06(03), 1–1. https://doi.org/10.21926/obm.icm.2103029
- Nursing Students' 1st Entrée into Clinical Rotations: Initial Behaviors Addressing Shift Work, Sleep, and Safe Practice (Patricia Butterfield, Washington State University)
Publication: Postma, J., Tuell, E., James, L., Graves, J., Butterfield, P. (2017) Nursing Students' Perceptions of the Transition to Shift Work: A Total Worker Health Perspective. Workplace Health & Safety, 65 (11), 533-538. https://doi.org/10.1177%2F2165079917719713
- Total Worker Health among New Nurses: An Instrument Development Study (Janessa Graves, Washington State University)
- Be Active, Work Safe (Laurel Kincl & Simon Driver, Oregon State University)
Publication: Nery-Hurwit, M., Kincl., L., Driver, S., Heller, B. (2017). Stakeholder evaluation of an online program to promote physical activity and workplace safety for individuals with disability. Evaluation and Program Planning, 63, 39-44. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.evalprogplan.2017.03.005
- Family-Supportive and Safety-Supportive Supervisor Behavior Training in Corrections Personnel (Charlotte Fritz, Portland State University & Leslie Hammer, Oregon Institute of Occupational Health Sciences)