Ending preventable blindness
For some people, access to high quality medical care is beyond their reach. The OHSU Casey Eye Institute Community Outreach Program brings eye care into focus by providing free vision screenings to adults that identify common preventable and treatable eye conditions that often cause blindness,
Since our inaugural voyage in 2010, our 33-foot fully-outfitted mobile ophthalmology unit has crisscrossed Oregon from the state’s most remote corners to Portland’s urban core providing:
- Screenings for over 8,200 adults
- More than 225 vision clinics
- Referral services for over 1,800 adults who may have serious vision problems
- Over 4,800 prescription glasses to participants
View our full impact in the 2019 Annual Impact Report!
Providing free eye exams
Through partnerships with community agencies serving low-income, uninsured and underinsured Oregonians, the Casey Community Outreach Program offers free, on-site vision screenings at an expanding network of community locations. Participants are examined at no cost, and community partners assist with follow-up for individuals in need of assistance in purchasing glasses or access to further medical support. This strong community partnership model links people with high quality vision health services through existing agencies and resources in their community.
Entirely donor funded, the Casey Community Outreach Program is staffed by volunteer doctors, technicians, students and community members dedicated to eliminating preventable blindness in Oregon. Our 33-foot fully outfitted mobile ophthalmology unit provides free medical vision screenings in partnership with local agencies all around the state to end preventable blindness in Oregon.
Partners in Success
OHSU Casey Eye Institute outreach programs make up just one link in an incredible and collaborative chain of community support. We cannot do it alone!
Our community partners are Oregon social service agencies, nonprofits, programs and safety net clinics that serve low-income, underinsured and uninsured people in communities across the state. We work together to bring health and well-being to those who need it most.
Interested in becoming a community partner?
We work with you to coordinate a vision screening event right on your doorstep.
- Clinics are coordinated in advance with a community partner agency
- Mobile screening event is held on location at the community partner’s site.
- The community partner is responsible for identifying people within their community who most need these services, managing additional referrals or assisting with obtaining glasses after the vision screenings are complete.
Please contact us for more information about our community resources or becoming a partner at CaseyOutreach@ohsu.edu.