Industry Agreements

OHSU Technology Transfer works to build successful collaborations and relationships between industry and academia that can often be accomplished through material transfer agreements (MTAs), industry sponsored research agreements (SRAs), research service agreements (RSAs), research collaboration agreements (RCAs), and other collaborative resources. Below are a few resources available to initiate a collaboration with external partners. 

Material Transfer Agreement (MTA)

A material transfer agreement is an agreement between organizations, which protects ownership rights for material being provided by a scientist or laboratory at one organization (the provider) to a scientist or lab at another organization (the recipient). 

Material transfer agreements are required by most academic institutions and commercial entities to protect the intellectual property and ownership rights for shared research materials. Material transfer agreements also protect academic rights and freedoms – such as the freedom to pursue a research topic and right to publish results – for the researcher and party providing the material as well as those receiving the research material.

Industry Sponsored Research Agreement (SRA)

An industry sponsored research agreement (SRA) is a contract through which an industry partner funds an OHSU-initiated research project. 

Sponsored research agreements cover projects funded by industry and must be consistent with and support the academic, research and/or healthcare mission of OHSU. Sponsored research agreements typically govern the scope of work, budget, payment obligations and timing, options to license any intellectual property arising from completion of the research, publication of results, and other important items to complete a research project. The process for developing a Sponsored research agreement may be brief or lengthy, depending on the complexity of the program to be sponsored and what the sponsor expects in exchange for its support.

Research Service Agreement (RSA)

A research service agreement (RSA) is a contract through which an industry partner funds an industry-initiated research project at OHSU. 

Research service agreements are often used for projects that involve the testing or evaluation of the sponsoring industry's proprietary new therapy, compound, diagnostic or device in a preclinical model. Typically the scope of work is entirely designed by the sponsor.

Research Collaboration Agreement (RCA)

A research collaboration agreement (RCA) is a contract covering a collaborative research effort between OHSU and another organization.

Research collaboration agreement s are a framework for how a collaboration or partnership is to proceed between two or more parties, what each party is responsible for under a scope of work, how materials and data are to be shared, what the publication rights of each party may be, and other aspects including how new intellectual property that may arise from the scope of work will be managed.

Non-Disclosure Agreement (NDA)

A non-disclosure agreement (NDA) is a contract between two or more parties that outlines confidential material, knowledge, or information that the parties (one or both) wish to share with one another for certain purposes, but wish to restrict access to, or by, other parties. The non-disclosure agreement is synonymous with a confidentiality agreement or confidential disclosure agreement (CDA). 

List of required elements

This checklist provides a guide to the short list of information or supporting documents required for an agreements officer to fully draft or negotiate an appropriate agreement.

Incoming material transfer agreements Outgoing material transfer agreement Non-disclosure agreement Industry sponsored research agreement/research services agreement Research collaboration agreement
Scope of work and/or description of purpose
Materials list
Draft agreement (OHSU template or other party template)
Funding source(s)
Contact information for other party — Investigator or legal/BD
Internal budget (including list of personnel and indirect cost rate)
External industry budget
Compliance verification — IRB, IACUC, and IBC
Proposed date of discussions

If you’re an outside party who needs to establish any of the agreements above, please contact OHSU Technology Transfer at or call our main phone line at (503) 494-8200