On May 6, 2019, Gov. Kate Brown signed Oregon House Bill 2220 into law, allowing dentists to prescribe and administer vaccines to patients of any age, starting in 2020. The law empowers dentists to help improve vaccination rates in Oregon, prevent the spread of disease, and further integrate oral health with physical and behavioral health, ultimately better serving patients and promoting public health. With its signing, Oregon became the first state in the US to permit dentists to vaccinate all patients, including young children, with many types of vaccines.
The SoD and Occupational (OCC) Health worked together to create an immunization program. This program was selected as the Honorable Mention recipient of the National Adult and Influenza Immunization Summit (NAIIS)– “Immunization Neighborhood” Adult Immunization Champion. Dr. Marucha and Alex Case of the SoD and Andrea Dayot and Misti Powell of OCC Health were the champions of this program.
We are excited to announce our new Dental Immunization Training Program!
Oregon is the first state to allow dentists to offer any vaccination to their patients! This simple convenience can help bridge gaps in care and prevent the spread of infectious diseases. This Dental-Based Immunization training certificate program is based on the national education standards for immunization training from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, along with guidance and information from the Oregon Health Authority (OHA). This collaborative curriculum represents the fusion of science and clinical dentistry. The program, which emphasizes a health care team approach that will promote disease prevention and public health. Be a pioneer in the dental field and get trained and certificated with this course.
The purpose of this program is to prepare dentists with comprehensive knowledge, skills, and resources necessary to provide immunization services to their patients across their life span.
- PART 1: Part one of this certification course will be an online course to be taken at your own pace. This online course has multiple components: Online Modules through the OHA and the Center for Disease Control (CDC). There will also be an online one-hour video for you to watch, followed by a short test at the end.
Click here for a link to the Online Dental Immunization Training Part 1: Online Lecture
- PART 2: Once you have completed Part 1 of the training you are eligible to sign up for a hands-on training portion of the certificate program. Here dentists will learn, practice, and simulate giving immunizations.
Click here for a link to our current Hands-on Vaccine Course Schedule
If you have any questions or need additional information, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org
In-Person Training at OHSU
Dental Immunization Forms & Resources
- Vaccine Information Statements (CDC)
- Temperature Logs (Immunization Action Coalition, IAC)
- Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System (vaers.hhs.gov)
- Adult Screening Form (Immunization Action Coalition, IAC)
- Standing Orders (Oregon Health Authority)
- Vaccines for Pregnant Women (IAC and ACOG)
- Does your patient need any vaccines today? (Immunization Action Coalition, IAC)
- Administering Vaccines to Adults (Immunization Action Coalition, IAC)
- COVID-19 Training Programs and Reference (CDC)
Oregon Health Authority
- Immunizing Dentists
- ALERT Immunization Information System (ALERT IIS)
- Oregon Vaccines for Children Program (VFC)
Boost Oregon Vaccination Education
Oregon Board of Dentistry
Immunization Billing Resources
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
COVID-19 Updates, Information and Resources
In the news
Feedback from participants
'I finished the training in November 2020! This opportunity to expand your scope of dental practice is "ground breaking" nationally! Justifiably so, dentists should be trained to administer immunizations if they so choose and are trained. We are all quite familiar with "placing a needle into a patient." Dentists in a variety of settings may very well enhance the health of their local patient population. Other States beyond Oregon are entertaining providing this opportunity for their dentists. This training has been authorized by law for dentists to complete in Oregon. The training is well structured through OHSU School of Dentistry. "Think out of the box!" "Jump on board!"' - Winthrop (Bernie) Carter, DDS
If you have participated in the training, and would like to provide your feedback, please email Alex Case at email@example.com.