Biopsy and consultation services
OHSU School of Dentistry Biopsy and Consultation Services offer state-of-the-art diagnostic services for all oral and maxillofacial lesions and tumors. Our board-certified pathologists are recognized leaders in the field, providing complete oral histopathologic diagnostic services and clinical oral medicine consultations with referring providers. We gladly offer second opinion consultations and accept patient referrals for thorough examinations and biopsy planning.
Use the form on this page to request biopsy kits, or contact us for more information.
The biopsy service encompasses
- Biopsy kits with formalin solution
- Zeus/Michel's solution can be provided for direct immunofluorescence studies with FedEx Lab Pack and label.
- Cytology kits can be provided (typically for the diagnosis of candidiasis or herpes simplex).*
- Pathological diagnoses faxed or mailed within 24 hours of soft tissue specimen receipt, with exceptions for hard tissue, special stains and DIF studies.
- Consultation with pathologist.
- Most medical insurance carriers accepted.
*While the department does not receive microbiologic specimens for culture, it does receive exfoliative cytology specimens. These specimens are scrapings from the mucosal surface that are then examined under the microscope with special stains. Typically, we suggest that exfoliative cytology be used to diagnose candidiasis and more rarely herpes simplex.