CDCB Summer Research Internship Program
Engaging Scientific Curiosity in the Next Generation of ScientistsProgram runs June-August. Email Parker Mattson with questions.
Application and all supplemental materials MUST be submitted to Parker Mattson by Friday, February 15, 2019.
Interns will immerse themselves in an 8-10 week research experience over the summer, working directly with established mentors in various fields of biomedical research, including but not limited to cancer biology, immunology, cell and developmental biology, and biomedical engineering. Interns will attend weekly lunch education sessions covering topics from cutting-edge technologies and animal models, to career development. Students will also participate in a weekly journal club where they can develop skills required to read and critically evaluate primary literature. As a culminating experience, each intern will prepare and present their research at the final poster session to their peers and members of the Cell, Developmental & Cancer Biology Department.
The CDCB Summer Internship Offers:
- Direct hands-on experience in running basic lab techniques.
- An introduction to experimental design and critical thinking.
- Participation in a guided project facilitated by a departmental researcher.
- Development of written and oral communication skills.
- Various networking opportunities with a community of scientists.
- Both wet and dry lab experiences.
- We are looking for motivated college undergraduates with a strong interest in a career in biomedical sciences and who have completed introductory science courses.
- Students must be available and present for the duration of the internship, no vacations/breaks may be taken.
- Unfortunately, we are unable to provide visas to foreign students.
Complete the online 2019 CDCB Internship Application. In addition to the application, you will also need to submit the supporting documentation (in PDF format) listed below:
- Your resume. Highlight science courses and relevant lab experience if applicable.
- A one page single-spaced essay on why you are applying and how you expect the experience to facilitate your career goals. Highlight previous laboratory experience if applicable.
- Official transcript(s) for the last 12 months.
- 2 letters of recommendation are preferred, though not required.
The deadline for the 2019 CDCB Summer Internship Program is February 15, 2019. All Application materials must be in by this date and time. Notifications of acceptance will be sent in early March.
Frequently Asked QuestionsWhat is the time commitment?
I will be graduating in Spring 2019. Am I eligible to apply?