The OHSU Spine Center offers a full range of diagnostic and treatment options for back and neck pain. Our team includes experts in pain management, rehabilitation, orthopaedics and surgery who will tailor a plan to your needs.
Many causes of back and neck pain can be treated without surgery, an approach the OHSU Spine Center favors whenever possible.
Minimally invasive treatments
- Epidural steroid injections: Injections can treat pain caused by pressure on spinal nerves.
- Intradiscal electrothermal therapy: The doctor uses a needle and catheter to provide heat that relieves the pain caused by spinal disc degeneration or lower-back disc problems.
- Kyphoplasty: Plastic cement is placed in a vertebra (spinal bone) using a needle and balloon device. The procedure can stabilize the spine and reduce pain.
- Radiofrequency facet denervation: This outpatient procedure involves using a needle to end a spinal nerve's ability to send pain signals.
- Artificial disc replacement: A damaged or diseased disc is replaced with a prosthetic one.
- Laminotomy/laminectomy: This surgical procedure removes part of a spinal bone called the lamina to relieve pressure on nerves or the spinal cord.
- Spinal cord stimulation: Tiny wires are placed near spinal nerves and connected to a small device that sends mild electrical pulses to reduce pain.