Education program director
Computer science and engineering graduate program
Electrical engineering graduate program
Ph.D., Computer Science, University of Rochester, 1997
M.Sc., Computer Science, University of Toronto, 1991
B.Math, Pure Math and Computer Science, University of Waterloo, 1987
Spontaneous speech recognition; modeling disfluencies and intonation; dialogue management; collaboration; spoken dialogue systems; natural language processing.
- F. Yang, P. Heeman, K. Hollingshead, and S. Strayer. Dialogueview: Annotating and viewing dialogue with multiple levels of abstraction. In Natural Language Engineering, 2007, To appear.
- P. Heeman. Combining Reinforcement Learning with Information-State Update Rules. In Proceedings of the North American Chapter of the Association for Computational Linguistics Annual Meeting, pages 268-275, Rochester NY, April 2007.
- F. Yang and P. Heeman. Avoiding and Resolving Initiative Conflicts in Dialogue. In Proceedings of the North American Chapter of the Association for Computational Linguistics Annual Meeting, pages 17-24, Rochester NY, April 2007.
- P. Heeman, A. McMillin, and J. Scott Yaruss. Intercoder Reliability in Annotating Complex Disfluencies.In Proceedings of the 10th European Conference on Speech Communication and Technology, Antwerp Belgium, August 2007.
- M. English and P. Heeman. Learning mixed initiative dialog strategies by using reinforcement learning on both conversants. In Proceedings of the Human Language Technology Conference and Conference on Empirical Methods in Natural Language Processing, pages 1011-1018, Vancouver Canada, October 2005.
- P. Heeman, F. Yang, A. Kun, and A. Shyrokov. Conventions in human-human multi-threaded dialogues: A preliminary study. In Proceedings of the International Conference on Intelligent User Interfaces, pgs. 293-295, San Diego, January 2005.
- P. Heeman. Modeling Spontaneous Speech Events during Recognition. In First International Conference on Universal Access in Human-Computer Interaction, New Orleans, August 2001.
- P. Heeman and J. Allen. Speech Repairs, Intonational Phrases and Discourse Markers: Modeling Speakers' Utterances in Spoken Dialog, Computational Linguistics, Vol. 25-4, pgs. 527-572, 1999.
- P. Heeman and G. Hirst. Collaborating on Referring Expressions. In Compuational Linguistics, Vol. 21-3, 1995.