Applications for Fall 2022 will be accepted from September 1 – November 22, 2021.
To apply, create an account and add the Graduate Program in Biomedical Sciences.
To be eligible for admission consideration in the Program in Biomedical Sciences, applicants must meet the School of Medicine and Graduate Studies minimum requirements*:
- A baccalaureate degree or equivalent, from an accredited U.S. academic institution, or equivalent international institution in chemistry, physics or one of the biological, medical sciences.
- A cumulative 3.0 grade point average (GPA) on a 4.0 scale for all undergraduate courses, or equivalent.
- Prior research experience (recommended minimum: 24 months) and your records must reflect adequate undergraduate training to do graduate work in your chosen field.
- In addition to meeting the general requirements, coursework in organic chemistry, biochemistry, physics, mathematics, biology, and genetics are strongly recommended, and should be at least 300 level (3rd year; junior level).
Satisfying minimal standards does not guarantee admission, as the number of qualified applicants far exceeds the number of spots available. As a result, many well-qualified applicants cannot be accommodated.
*Undergraduate/research preparation can vary widely and will be evaluated holistically by the admissions committee on an individual basis.
To apply, add the Program in Biomedical Sciences to the general application through the Application Portal. You may apply to more than one program simultaneously. While there is a small grace period for trailing documents such as letters of recommendation, plan to have all documents submitted and received prior to the deadline. An incomplete application will impact the ability of our admissions committee to holistically review all your materials.
- Online application, with each section complete
- UNOFFICIAL transcripts from all colleges or universities attended. Official transcripts will be required upon admission to the program.
- Three (3) letters of recommendation (requested in the "Evaluations" section)
- Curriculum Vitae (CV) or resume
- TOEFL* or IELTS scores (for international applicants whose native language is not English); waived if you have earned a degree from a U.S. institution.
- $70 application fee
*Oregon Health & Science University's Institution Code is 4865 for the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL).
Prior to admission (matriculation), we will require:
- Successful clearance of a federal background check.
- Compliance with OHSU requirements.
- Official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended.
English language requirement
All international applicants for whom English is not a native language must take either the Test for English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or English Language Testing System (IELTS). These will only be waived if the applicant has obtained an undergraduate or graduate degree at an accredited college or university in the United States or other native English-speaking country. An admitted applicant is expected to have a TOEFL score above 80 (iBT), 550 (paper-based), or an IELTS score above 6.5.
OHSU's School of Medicine Graduate Studies accepts MyBest scores for the TOEFL test, in addition to TOEFL scores from a single test date. Please request all official test scores to be sent to the following institution code: 4865.
While not required at the time of application, a World Education Services (WES) International Credential Advantage Package (ICAP) credential evaluation may eventually be required for all foreign colleges attended, regardless of country of origin. You are responsible for the full cost of this service. If you have already completed a similar credential evaluation through WES or another company, the Office of Graduate Studies may evaluate on a case-by-case basis whether a WES ICAP will be needed.
Office of International Affairs
For more information about OHSU's resources on visa statuses, immigration services, and international student resources, contact the Office of International Affairs.
The Program in Biomedical Sciences is able to provide appropriate accommodations during the application process if requested. If you need a reasonable accommodation to participate in admissions, please contact the Office of Graduate Studies no later than November 1. We cannot guarantee an accommodation if your request is not made in a timely manner.
Please begin an application prior to requesting accommodation.
Are GRE scores required?
I believe that I qualify for an application fee waiver. How can I be sure?
Check your eligibility and learn how to request a waiver by viewing the Graduate Studies Application Fee Waiver policy. Once applied, the fee waiver will expire after 30 days. Trailing documents like letters of recommendation can still be received after that time window, but your online application must be complete and submitted within the 30-day time-frame.
Who should write my letters of recommendation?
Request letters from individuals who know you well, have worked directly with you, and who can speak of your experience and its relationship to the program.
What are your minimum GPA requirements?
A cumulative grade point average (GPA) of all undergraduate courses of at least 3.0 (based on a letter grade system of A=4 points, B=3 points, C=2 points, D=1 point, F=0 points), or its equivalent in other grading systems.
Do you require official transcripts to apply?
No. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable during the application process. Official transcripts will be required upon admission to the program.
Do you require a minimum TOFEL or IELTS score?
Applicants whose native language is not English, or whose undergraduate institution instruction was not in English, must provide official scores from the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). An admitted applicant is expected to have a TOEFL score above 80 (iBT), 550 (paper-based), or an IELTS score above 6.5.
What is our Admissions Policy?
Where do I start?
Create an account, provide your information and submit your supporting documentation--all through our online application portal.