Thermo ScientificTM Volumescope 2TM Serial Block Face-Scanning Electron Microscope (SBF-SEM)
The Thermo Scientific VolumeScope 2 with Multi-Energy Deconvolution (MED) is a state-of-the-art serial block face-scanning electron microscope that combines physical and optical slicing technologies with 10 nm isotropic 3D datasets of resin embedded biological samples. This field-leading 10 nm isotropic resolution is possible through the use of MED-SEM technology, allowing optical sectioning to derive several virtual subsurface layers within each physical slice, thus dramatically improving resolution, particularly in the axial direction. Acquired volumes are typically larger than those collected with FIB-SEM technology. The instrument can also be utilized as a stand-alone SEM with low-vacuum capability for traditional imaging of non-conductive samples.
- The segmented in-lens T1 and VBS-DBS detectors may be utilized for SBF-SEM volume data acquisition, while the T1, T2, T3, LVD, and ETD may be used with or without the compound immersion lens to acquire high-quality 2D images.
- MapsTM software integration for wide-field tissue mapping (Tiling and Stitching) and correlative light and electron microscopy (CLEM) studies
- Multi-Energy Deconvolution-SEMTM software provides fully-automated, large-volume reconstructions for isotropic 3D data acquisition
- High degree of automation and design for ease of-use
- On-stage compact microtome with easy installation for in-situ sectioning
- Capable of Low Vacuum (10-50 Pa) imaging for charge mitigation
- Optimal imaging resolution at low voltages (1.0 nm at 1 keV using the immersion lens) for 2D SEM images
- SBF-SEM datasets capable of multiple ROI collection during the same job acquisition with 10-nm isotropic resolution when utilizing 40 nm-thick physical slices.
- Robertson Life Science Building
For more information on the Volumescope 2: