OHSU real estate consists of owned and leased properties primarily in the Portland metro region, and across the state of Oregon and southwest Washington. Our team ensures that OHSU obtains the real estate assets needed to fulfill mission area goals, and ensures that these are aligned with the long-range campus vision and capital priorities.
To achieve these, Campus Planning & Real Estate (CPRE) provides the following real estate services:
- Manages OHSU’s lease portfolio of over 200 leases
- Engages brokers to search for space and leads lease negotiations
- Coordinates tenant improvement with the landlord and project managers in OHSU Design & Construction
- Ensures lease compliance, including payments and renewals
- Reconciles annual operating expenses, property tax reimbursements, and files necessary tax exemption applications
Lease Request Process
OHSU Departments Lease Request:
Getting into an external leased space may take one to three years from planning to tenant move-in depending on the size, availability and complexity of the space needs, and possible build-out. A capital budget request for new leases is typically required and only considered once a year, so planning should begin early.
Faculty start-ups and non-OHSU companies seeking OHSU space should follow the process on the Space Planning page.
1. Intake Process: Departments submit a Lease Request - OHSU Departments form to Greg Gonzalez (email@example.com), Real Estate Manager, to initiate the lease request process. He will schedule a meeting to provide an overview of the process and explore preliminary market options. Following this meeting, lease requests must have mission area sponsorship from the Unit Leaders (VP and Director) and Finance Officer before it is reviewed at Space Committee.
2. Funding Request: All capital and operating leases require funding approval for lease expenses, tenant improvements (TIs), moving costs, etc. Departments should coordinate with their Finance Officer to complete a Lease Pro Forma and submit to CPRE by December 15 with mission area sponsorship from the VP and Finance Officer. Funding requests for operating leases — less than one year or under $100,000) — are reviewed quarterly. See Capital Allocation Guidelines.
Lease Pro Formas are reviewed by CPRE and the Office of Budget & Financial Planning to ensure alignment with OHSU long-term campus and financial planning. The lease request is considered with all other capital requests in the annual budgeting cycle (January through March). If approved by the VP, Finance & Treasurer, CPRE will begin the search for leased space.
3. Lease Process (6-8 months): CPRE Real Estate Manager will engage the department and a broker to identify and tour potential spaces. Once a viable lease option is selected, Design & Construction leads the business planning to scope the project and establish a project charter; followed by a programming phase which may include test fit drawings, space layout, high level schedule and cost estimate.
CPRE Real Estate Manager will negotiate the lease with the landlord and prepare a lease abstract, documenting the rent and operating expenses, budget letter and updated business plan and pro forma. After a final review by the department Finance Officer and the Office of Budget & Financial Planning, CPRE executes the lease.
4. Design, Construction & Move-in (8 months-2 years): Design and Construction prepares the space for the new tenant. This process may include selecting an architect and general contractor, weekly construction meetings, acquiring permits landlord approval, certificate of occupancy, etc. See Design and Construction Project Delivery Process.
Lease Renewal Process
1. Renewal Option Notification: Campus Planning & Real Estate will notify departments of upcoming lease renewal options two years before lease expiration. This ensures that there is sufficient time to plan if there any changes if the department’s space needs. CPRE will meet with department to confirm their real estate strategy, and review forms that the department must complete and submit.
2. Lease Renewal: Departments submit a Lease Renewal Pro Forma to CPRE by December 15 with mission area sponsorship from the VP, Director, and Finance Officer. See Capital Allocation Guidelines.
Lease Renewals are reviewed by CPRE and the Office of Budget & Financial Planning to ensure alignment with OHSU long-term campus and financial planning. The renewal is reviewed with all other capital requests in the annual budgeting cycle (January through March). If approved by the VP, Finance & Treasurer, CPRE will proceed with the lease renewal.
- Departments seeking additional leased space, such as an expansion or relocation, must follow the Lease Request Process as described above, obtaining Mission Area Sponsorship, Space Committee authorization, and approval by the VP, Finance & Treasurer.
- No Renewal: Departments not seeking renewal should notify Campus Planning & Real Estate, which will provide written notice to the landlord. Several months may be required for move-out and renovations before lease expiration.
3. Lease Negotiation: CPRE Real Estate Manager will negotiate the lease with the landlord and prepare a lease abstract, documenting the rent and operating expenses, department business plan and pro forma. If approved by the department fiscal approver and the Office of Budget & Financial Planning, CPRE executes the lease.
- Tenant Improvements: If significant tenant improvements (TI) are negotiated with the lease, Design & Construction may have oversight responsibility.
Questions about OHSU leasing may be directed to Greg Gonzalez, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Oracle Property Manager
CPRE utilizes Oracle Property Manager as a central database to track and manage OHSU real estate agreements entered into on behalf of OHSU departments which have financial responsibility for these. Using Oracle Property Manager, departments can view the documents and financials these agreements. To obtain access, please complete the Oracle Self-Service Access Request. See Oracle Property Manager Inquiry User Guide in the Real Estate Forms section of this webpage.
OHSU Departments that receive invoices related to lease space should email them to email@example.com.