Please note: In compliance with Oregon law, OHSU’s COVID-19 Immunization and Education policy went into effect Oct. 18, 2021. Visitors and volunteers who have an in-person experience at OHSU must be fully vaccinated (14 days after last dose). Exception requests from visitors and volunteers will not be accepted. Please be prepared to provide proof of vaccination, or to receive a Covid-19 vaccination, as a requirement for onboarding for your in-person experience at OHSU. You will not be allowed to participate within OHSU if you are not compliant with this policy.
The Chemical Biology and Physiology Summer Undergraduate Research Program (CBP-SURP) is a 9-week, undergraduate internship program in the Department of Chemical Physiology and Biochemistry (CPB) designed to provide research opportunities at the interface of chemistry, biology and physiology in the biomedical sciences. A major goal of this program is to engage students in state-of-the-art techniques in chemical biology, and how strategies in chemical biology can be used to investigate cell signaling, protein function, and identify potential therapeutic targets. A CPB-SURP participant will work under a faculty mentor in an active basic science laboratory gaining hands-on experience in exciting scientific discoveries. The following CPB primary and research faculty are participating in the 2022 Chemical Biology and Physiology Summer Undergraduate Research Program (CPB-SURP):
- Sue A. Aicher, Ph.D., Professor, Chemical Physiology & Biochemistry
- Ninian J. Blackburn, Ph.D., Professor, Chemical Physiology & Biochemistry
- Kimberly E. Beatty, Ph.D., Associate Professor, Chemical Physiology & Biochemistry
- Mike S. Cohen, Ph.D., Associate Professor, Chemical Physiology & Biochemistry
- Andrea DeBarber, Ph.D., Research Associate Professor, Chemical Physiology & Biochemistry
- Beth A Habecker, Ph.D., Professor, Chemical Physiology & Biochemistry
- Martin, J. Kelly, Ph.D., Professor, Chemical Physiology & Biochemistry
- Braden Lobingier, Ph.D., Assistant Professor, Chemical Physiology & Biochemistry
- Bingbing Li, Ph.D., Research Assistant Professor, Chemical Physiology & Biochemistry
- Xiangshu Xiao, Ph.D., Professor, Chemical Physiology & Biochemistry
- Liman Zhang, Ph.D., Assistant Professor, Chemical Physiology & Biochemistry
In addition to daily research activities, students will also participate in:
- Journal talks
- An oral presentation followed by a reception
- Seminars on scientific and professional development
- Social and culture events
- Be currently enrolled in college
- Major in chemistry, biochemistry, or related fields
- Have completed at least four semesters or six quarters of undergraduate study
- Have a desire to pursue a PhD in chemical biology and physiology or related field
- Must participate in the entirety of the program
The 2022 program will run from June 27 through September 2, 2022. Participants will receive a stipend of $4,000 for the summer to cover travel, accommodations and incidental expenses.
Out-of-town interns in need of housing are encouraged to explore intern housing through Portland State University (PSU). PSU offers summer accommodations in their student dorms, with an easy commute to OHSU. CPB is unable to arrange temporary housing for interns.
To apply, please submit the following (in a single pdf file) to CPBdept@ohsu.edu:
- Curriculum vitae
- Personal statement: a brief description (1 page) of your most meaningful research experience and future career goals.
- A list of three CPB faculty members you are interested in working with, along with a short paragraph describing your interests in their labs.
- Copy of college transcript
- 2 reference letters addressing your research and science experience (sent separately to CPBdept@ohsu.edu)
The deadline to apply for this program is March 25, 2022. Please contact the Department of Chemical Physiology and Biochemistry at CPBdept@ohsu.edu with any questions or for assistance.