Refer a Patient to OHSU: Step-by-Step Instructions
Step 1: Choose a referral method
We accept referrals by fax.
You can also send an electronic referral (eReferral) if you are referring:
- To OHSU or Hillsboro Medical Center
- For outpatient (ambulatory) services
- Note: eReferrals are not available for diagnostic and procedural orders, such as for imaging (MRI, CT, X-ray), colonoscopies and EMG. Those orders must still be faxed.
Please use only one referral method. Sending both a fax referral and an eReferral may slow your referral.
You may use your own referral form or download one of our forms.
If you use your own referral form, it should include:
- Patient name, date of birth, sex, address and phone number
- Referring provider’s name, address and phone number
- Diagnosis or reason for referral
- Department you are referring to
- Most recent chart notes supporting the diagnosis or reason for referral
OHSU and Hillsboro Medical Center are accepting electronic referrals, or eReferrals, because:
- They’re faster and more reliable than fax referrals.
- They go directly into our electronic medical records system, Epic.
- They speed up referral creation in Epic.
- They reduce record requests to your office.
You don’t need to be on Epic to use eReferrals. If your system lets you send eReferrals, we can receive them.
Step 2: Find a patient referral checklist
You can search by diagnosis or treatment to learn:
- Which department or clinic you should refer to
- What patient records you’ll need to provide
Step 3: Send your referral
Fax referrals: Send forms and patient records to 503-346-6854.
Electronic referrals: Please put “referral” in your eReferral’s subject line.
For technical issues, consult your IT staff first.
For general questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Refer a patient
- Send an eReferral
- Fax your referral to 503-346-6854
- For help or provider-to-provider advice, call 503-494-4567