From May - November 2021, this Oregon Health and Science University Center for Ethics in Health Care virtual lecture series, Compassion and Solidarity: Enhancing Ethical Medical Care in Oregon and Beyond, will examine various health care practices through the shared lenses of compassion and solidarity. The goal of this lecture series is to illuminate complex medical topics including: ethics in the end-of-life context, justice and equity in the Pacific Northwest, how to improve health literacy and become a more compassionate communicator, why storytelling can help prevent burnout and make clinical practice more humane, and ways in which grief and trauma can be diminished through friendship and solidarity. This series offers free continuing education credits for CME, NCPD, and SW.
Upcoming Presentation Spotlight
Health Literacy and Systemic Racism: Addressing Oppression Through Clear Communication by Cliff Coleman, MD, MPH - view recorded presentation HERE
Leading international expert in health literacy, Cliff Coleman, MD, MPH, will be presenting on how health literacy disparities, clear communication, and systemic racism all intersect.
Dr. Coleman not only holds the Doris and Mark Storms Chair in Compassionate Communication and is an Associate Director in the OHSU Center for Ethics in Health Care, but is also an Associate Professor of Family Medicine and the Clinical Thread Director of Professionalism, Ethics, and Communication in the SoM. Read more about Dr. Coleman and his presentation HERE
2021 Lecture Series Schedule
- Friday, May 21 from 8:00-9:00AM PT - Common Ethical Challenges in End-of-Life Care by Robert Macauley, MD, HEC-C. View the recorded presentation HERE.
- Friday, June 25 from 8:00-9:00AM PT - "We have nothing left to offer you!": Reflections on the Intersection of Futility and Bias in Clinical Care by Maya Scott, MSW, LICSW. View the recorded presentation HERE.
- Friday, September 10 from 8:00-9:00AM PT - Health Literacy and Systemic Racism: Addressing Oppression Through Clear Communication by Cliff Coleman, MD, MPH. View the recorded presentation HERE.
- Friday, October 22 from 8:00-9:00AM PT - Shifting the Lens: Storytelling for Solidarity by Elizabeth P. Lahti, MD - Register here.
- Friday, November 19 from 8:00-9:00AM PT - Grief in a time of Pandemic: How to respond, How to Heal by Susan Hedlund, LCSW, OSW-c, FAOSW and Panel