OHSU has the largest and longest-running heart transplant program in the region and has performed more than 700 heart transplants. We have the only program in Oregon that is approved by the United Network for Organ Sharing and the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services.
OHSU is the only health system in Oregon with comprehensive support services for heart transplants, including:
- Multi-organ failure services: On-site access to the skills and expertise offered by other organ transplant programs, including liver and kidney, for the best results.
- Immunogenetics and Transplantation Lab: A lab that performs tissue compatibility testing for kidney, pancreas, heart, lung, liver and bone marrow transplant.
- Cardiovascular Intensive Care Unit: A 24/7 intensive care unit that manages only the sickest cardiovascular patients.
- Level 1 Trauma Center: The highest level of 24/7 lifesaving trauma care for patients in urgent need of highly specialized cardiovascular care, including those with heart failure.
- ECMO (extracorporeal membrane oxygenation): Cardiac life support for patients with potentially reversible respiratory and/or cardiac failure; OHSU is the only health system in the Pacific Northwest offering air and ground transport for both pulmonary and cardiac adult ECMO patients.
- Unmatched expertise: Transplant surgeons, critical care specialists and advanced heart failure transplant cardiologists experienced in pre- and post-operative care.
Our team is made up of heart surgeons, cardiologists, nurses, coordinators, social workers, nutritionists, pharmacists and many others who are dedicated to the specialized care of heart transplant patients.
- Deborah Meyers, M.D.
- Section Head, Heart Failure and Transplant Cardiology
- Cardiology, Heart Assist Devices and Heart Disease in Women Portland
- Howard K. Song, M.D., Ph.D.
- Professor of Surgery
- Cardiology, Cardiothoracic Surgery and Surgery Portland
- Johannes Steiner, M.D.
- Medical Director, Mechanical Circulatory Support
- Cardiology, Cardiac Imaging and Heart Assist Devices Portland
- Frederick A. Tibayan, M.D.
- Associate Professor of Surgery
- Cardiothoracic Surgery, Aortic Surgery and Cardiac Surgery (Adult) Portland
Heart Transplant Coordinators
- Ginger Hayley, R.N. — Heart Transplant Coordinator
- Heather Miller-Webb, R.N. — Heart Transplant Coordinator
- Tonja Spencer, R.N., B.S.N., M.P.H. — Heart Transplant Coordinator