About the Transgenic Mouse Models core
The TMM core has provided services to the research community since 1994. Genetically modified mice generated by the TMM core have been successfully used by investigators at OHSU, across the U.S. and internationally with over five hundred unique transgenic and knockout mouse lines produced. The Core currently provides technology and expertise in CRISPR genome editing. Maintaining pace with the exponential growth in transgenic technology, our staff regularly attend courses, workshops, and conferences at institutions such as Jackson Laboratories, International Society for Transgenic Technologies and Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory.
The TMM Core currently supports over 40 grants from NIH and other funding agencies. There are approximately 80 OHSU users from departments and institutions including
- Anesthesiology & Perioperative Medicine
- Behavioral Neuroscience
- Cellular Development & Cancer Biology
- Molecular & Medical Genetics
- Physiology & Pharmacology
- Oregon Stem Center
- Pape’ Pediatric Research Institute
- Vollum Institute
- Knight Cancer Institute
- Oregon Hearing Research Center
- Center for Research in Occupational & Environmental Toxicology
- Division of Pulmonary & Critical Care Medicine
External customers in Portland and across the U.S. include
- Veterans Affairs Medical Center
- Shriners Hospital for Children
- Legacy Research Institute
- SUNY Upstate Medical University
- Sanford Children's Health Research Center
- University of West Virginia School of Medicine.
TMM facilities are located on Marquam Hill in the Lamfrom Biomedical Research Building.
- 3rd Floor – Molecular biology component of the core
- Level B1 - ES tissue culture and embryo microinjection laboratories are in a Specific Pathogen Free barrier area.
- Level B1 - Animal housing rooms are adjacent to the Department of Comparative Medicine. This provides an exceptionally convenient location as it is a controlled sterile, environment that is easily maintained and facilitates transportation of newly generated mice.
Lab space of TMM Core. (A) Molecular laboratory. (B) Embryo microsurgery room. (C) ES Cell culture room. (D) SPF mouse room. Mice are housed within individually ventilated cages (IVC). (E) All animal manipulations are performed inside of Biosafety Cabinets under SPF conditions.