The Master of Science in Healthcare Management provides healthcare managers with practical knowledge to lead teams, improve processes, and implement strategy within the complex world of healthcare delivery. Designed for busy working professionals, the M.S. is offered part-time to accommodate students balancing jobs, families and other commitments. The program enables students from around the nation to combine both in-person and online classes to graduate in as little as 21 months.
Hybrid class format
- 80 percent of the classroom interaction is done through online learning in the Sakai platform.
- 20 percent of the classroom interaction is in-person on the OHSU campus. These face-to-face classes take place two Fridays and two Saturdays per term.
- Face-to-Face classes are hosted on Fridays from 4-9 p.m. and Saturdays from 9 a.m.-2 p.m.
The model below demonstrates an average 11-week term. Blue squares represent online work weeks.
- Students can select to take two courses per term and complete the program in 21 months or take one class per term and complete the program in 42 months.
The program consists of 52 credits comprised of the courses listed below.
The following classes are required:
- MGT 508 Ethics in Healthcare Organizations (2 credits)
- MGT 519 Health Care Project Management (4 credits)
- MGT 520 Becoming an Effective Manager (4 credits)
- MGT 560 Organization, Financing & History of Healthcare Delivery in the U.S. (4 credits)
- MGT 561 Managerial and Financial Accounting for Healthcare Professionals (4 credits)
- MGT 563 Regulation & Legislation of Healthcare Delivery (4 credits)
- MGT 564 Business Planning and Strategy in Healthcare (4 credits)
- MGT 570 Operations Management in Healthcare (4 credits)
- MGT 572 Financial Management in Healthcare (4 credits)
- MGT 592 Strategic Communications (4 credits)
- MGT 553 Capstone Project in Healthcare I (2 credits)
- MGT 554 Capstone Project in Healthcare II (3 credits)
Students select additional electives to total a minimum of 52 credits. Electives can include but are not limited to the following:
- MGT 506 Healthcare Management Special Topics, (variable and repeatable credit)
- MGT 518 Quality and Safety in Healthcare (4 credits)
- MGT 522 Leading Change in Organizations (3 credits)
- MGT 535 Career Management (1 credit)
- MGT 536 Career Conversations (1 credit)
- MGT 537 Managing in the Real World (1 credit)
- 2019-2020 Tuition: $599 per credit hour.*
- 2019-2020 OHSU University Fee: $339 per term.
*Books and additional materials are not included in the tuition credit hour costs.
The M.S. program admits students for fall, winter and spring terms of each academic year. Winter and spring term admission are offered on a space-available basis. We strongly encourage students to start in the fall term.
Visit our admissions page to learn more about admissions requirements and steps.
Note: This program is offered on a part-time only basis; therefore, we cannot accept applicants on F-1 or J-1 student visas