The Hansen laboratory is focused on understanding the immunobiology of recombinant CMV vectors in the non-human primate model in order to generate vaccine vectors with the capacity to protect against progressive HIV/SIV and Mycobacterium tuberculosis (M.tb.) infection. As a postdoctoral fellow, he began developing the Rhesus Cytomegalovirus (RhCMV) vector system using a fibroblast-adapted strain (68-1 RhCMV). After sequencing, characterized, and annotating the 68-1 RhCMV genomein collaboration of Dr. Scott Wong, Dr. Hansen then constructed the first recombinant RhCMV virus vector expressing an SIV antigen (RhCMV/SIV). Over the past ten years, he has worked extensively with Dr. Louis Picker, Klaus Früh, and Michael Axthelm in testing the immunogenicity and protective efficacy of RhCMV/SIV vectors in the SIV/non-human primate model. We have shown that 68-1 RhCMV vectors encoding the major SIV proteins (Gag, Rev/Tat/Nef, Pol, and Env) can 1) efficiently superinfect naturally RhCMV-infected monkeys, 2) elicit high frequency, effector-differentiated, long-lived SIV-specific CD4+ and CD8+ T cells in both lymphoid and non-lymphoid tissues and 3) most importantly, completely protect ~54% of vaccinated RM from progressive infection after mucosal challenge (intra-rectal and intra-vaginal) with highly pathogenic SIVmac 239 from 1-6 years post-initial vaccination. A major area of interest in the Hansen lab is identifying immune correlates of protection associated with this remarkable protection afforded by RhCMV/SIV vaccination. A second, more recent, area of focus is characterizing the immunogenicity of different SIV insert constructs in order to identify promising candidates for a universal HIV vaccine insert.
Scott Hansen graduated from Oregon State University with a B.S. in Microbiology in 1997 and received his Ph.D in Microbiology at OSU in 2001. He started a postdoctoral fellowship at OHSU from 2001-2008 with Louis Picker as his advisor. He then was hired as a Staff Scientist II at OHSU Vaccine and Gene Therapy Institute and within 2 years he was promoted to Assistant Scientist in 2010.
- Fujita T, Burwitz BJ, Chew GM, Reed JS, Pathak R, Seger E, Clayton KL, Rini JM, Ostrowski MA, Ishii N, Kuroda MJ, Hansen SG, Sacha JB, Ndhlovu LC. Expansion of dysfunctional Tim-3-expressing effector memory CD8+ T cells during simian immunodeficiency virus infection in rhesus macaques. J Immunol. 2014 Dec 1;193(11):5576-83. (doi: 10.4049/jimmunol.1400961.) [PMID: 25348621, PMCID: PMC4239185] Epub 2014 Oct 27.
- Malouli D, Hansen SG, Nakayasu ES, Marshall EE, Hughes CM, Ventura AB, Gilbride RM, Lewis MS, Xu G, Kreklywich C, Whizin N, Fischer M, Legasse AW, Viswanathan K, Siess D, Camp DG 2nd, Axthelm MK, Kahl C, DeFilippis VR, Smith RD, Streblow DN, Picker LJ, Früh K. Cytomegalovirus pp65 limits dissemination but is dispensable for persistence. J Clin Invest. 2014 May 1;124(5):1928-44.[ PMID: 24691437, PMCID: PMC4002596] Epub 2014 Apr 1.
- Hansen SG, Piatak M Jr, Ventura AB, Hughes CM, Gilbride RM, Ford JC, Oswald K, Shoemaker R, Li Y, Lewis MS, Gilliam AN, Xu G, Whizin N, Burwitz BJ, Planer SL, Turner JM, Legasse AW, Axthelm MK, Nelson JA, Früh K, Sacha JB, Estes JD, Keele BF, Edlefsen PT, Lifson JD, Picker LJ. Immune clearance of highly pathogenic SIV infection. Nature. 2013 Oct 3;502(7469):100-4. (doi: 10.1038/nature12519.) [PMID: 24025770, PMCID: PMC3849456] Epub 2013 Sep 11.
- Hansen SG, Sacha JB, Hughes CM, Ford JC, Burwitz BJ, Scholz I, Gilbride RM, Lewis MS, Gilliam AN, Ventura AB, Malouli D, Xu G, Richards R, Whizin N, Reed JS, Hammond KB, Fischer M, Turner JM, Legasse AW, Axthelm MK, Edlefsen PT, Nelson JA, Lifson JD, Früh K, Picker LJ. Cytomegalovirus vectors violate CD8+ T cell epitope recognition paradigms. Science. 2013 May 24;340(6135):1237874. (doi: 10.1126/science.) [PMID: 23704576, PMCID: PMC3816976]
- Estep RD, Hansen SG, Rogers KS, Axthelm MK, Wong SW. Genomic characterization of Japanese macaque rhadinovirus, a novel herpesvirus isolated from a nonhuman primate with a spontaneous inflammatory demyelinating disease. J Virol. 2013 Jan;87(1):512-23. (doi: 10.1128/JVI.02194-12.) [PMID: 23097433, PMCID: PMC3536378] Epub 2012 Oct 24.
- Fukazawa Y, Park H, Cameron MJ, Lefebvre F, Lum R, Coombes N, Mahyari E, Hagen SI, Bae JY, Reyes MD 3rd, Swanson T, Legasse AW, Sylwester A, Hansen SG, Smith AT, Stafova P, Shoemaker R, Li Y, Oswald K, Axthelm MK, McDermott A, Ferrari G, Montefiori DC, Edlefsen PT, Piatak M Jr, Lifson JD, Sékaly RP, Picker LJ. Lymph node T cell responses predict the efficacy of live attenuated SIV vaccines. Nat Med. 2012 Nov;18(11):1673-81. (doi: 10.1038/nm.2934.) [PMID: 22961108, PMCID: PMC3493820] Epub 2012 Sep 9.
- Picker LJ, Hansen SG, Lifson JD. New paradigms for HIV/AIDS vaccine development. Annu Rev Med. 2012;63:95-111. (doi: 10.1146/annurev-med-042010-085643.) [PMID: 21942424, PMCID: PMC3368276] Epub 2011 Sep 19.
- Hansen SG, Ford JC, Lewis MS, Ventura AB, Hughes CM, Coyne-Johnson L, Whizin N, Oswald K, Shoemaker R, Swanson T, Legasse AW, Chiuchiolo MJ, Parks CL, Axthelm MK, Nelson JA, Jarvis MA, Piatak M Jr, Lifson JD, Picker LJ. Profound early control of highly pathogenic SIV by an effector memory T-cell vaccine. Nature. 2011 May 26;473(7348):523-7.( doi: 10.1038/nature10003.) [PMID: 21562493, PMCID: PMC3102768] Epub 2011 May 11.
- Hansen SG, Powers CJ, Richards R, Ventura AB, Ford JC, Siess D, Axthelm MK, Nelson JA, Jarvis MA, Picker LJ, Früh K. Evasion of CD8+ T cells is critical for superinfection by cytomegalovirus. Science. 2010 Apr 2;328(5974):102-6. (doi: 10.1126/science.1185350.) [PMID: 20360110, PMCID: PMC2883175]
- Hansen SG, Vieville C, Whizin N, Coyne-Johnson L, Siess DC, Drummond DD, Legasse AW, Axthelm MK, Oswald K, Trubey CM, Piatak M Jr, Lifson JD, Nelson JA, Jarvis MA, Picker LJ. Effector memory T cell responses are associated with protection of rhesus monkeys from mucosal simian immunodeficiency virus challenge. Nat Med. 2009 Mar;15(3):293-9. (doi: 10.1038/nm.1935.) [PMID: 19219024, PMCID: PMC2720091] Epub 2009 Feb 15.
- DeFilippis VR, Robinson B, Keck TM, Hansen SG, Nelson JA, Früh KJ. Interferon regulatory factor 3 is necessary for induction of antiviral genes during human cytomegalovirus infection. J Virol. 2006 Jan;80(2):1032-7. [PMID: 16379004, PMCID: PMC1346858]
- Hammarlund E, Lewis MW, Carter SV, Amanna I, Hansen SG, Strelow LI, Wong SW, Yoshihara P, Hanifin JM, Slifka MK. Multiple diagnostic techniques identify previously vaccinated individuals with protective immunity against monkeypox. Nat Med. 2005 Sep;11(9):1005-11. [PMID: 16086024] Epub 2005 Aug 7.
- McAllister SC, Hansen SG, Messaoudi I, Nikolich-Zugich J, Moses AV. Increased efficiency of phorbol ester-induced lytic reactivation of Kaposi's sarcoma-associated herpesvirus during S phase. J Virol. 2005 Feb;79(4):2626-30. [PMID: 15681463, PMCID: PMC546546]
- Rue CA, Jarvis MA, Knoche AJ, Meyers HL, DeFilippis VR, Hansen SG, Wagner M, Früh K, Anders DG, Wong SW, Barry PA, Nelson JA. A cyclooxygenase-2 homologue encoded by rhesus cytomegalovirus is a determinant for endothelial cell tropism. J Virol. 2004 Nov;78(22):12529-36. [PMID: 15507640, PMCID: PMC525102]
- McAllister SC, Hansen SG, Ruhl RA, Raggo CM, DeFilippis VR, Greenspan D, Früh K, Moses AV. Kaposi sarcoma-associated herpesvirus (KSHV) induces heme oxygenase-1 expression and activity in KSHV-infected endothelial cells. Blood. 2004 May 1;103(9):3465-73. [PMID: 14726403] Epub 2004 Jan 15.
- Hammarlund E, Lewis MW, Hansen SG, Strelow LI, Nelson JA, Sexton GJ, Hanifin JM, Slifka MK. Duration of antiviral immunity after smallpox vaccination. Nat Med. 2003 Sep;9(9):1131-7. [PMID: 12925846] Epub 2003 Aug 17.
- Hansen SG, Strelow LI, Franchi DC, Anders DG, Wong SW. Complete sequence and genomic analysis of rhesus cytomegalovirus. J Virol. 2003 Jun;77(12):6620-36. [PMID: 12767982, PMCID: PMC156187]