When you’re faced with a serious injury, time and skill are of the essence. OHSU’s large team and dedicated trauma facilities mean we can provide exceptional care for traumatic injuries, day or night. You’ll find:
- The only academic Level 1 trauma center in Oregon, offering the highest quality surgical care.
- Leading-edge care for serious injuries, with trauma surgeons available around the clock.
- Surgeons who specialize in trauma, critical care and acute care, working together and with experts across OHSU for the best possible outcomes.
- A skilled team of providers who coordinate your care from the emergency room through recovery and follow-up treatment.
- A trauma research program named among the nation’s best by the American College of Surgeons.
- Groundbreaking research and treatments developed in partnership with the U.S. Army and the VA Portland Health Care Systems.
- A commitment to training OHSU medical and nursing students, interns, residents and fellows to provide trauma care.
- Outreach, continuing education and case review for emergency medical providers and trauma specialists.
- Injury prevention programs and events to help Oregonians stay safe.
Who we treat
You may be cared for at the OHSU Trauma Center if you:
- Come to the ER with severe injuries requiring surgery.
- Transfer from a department within OHSU for trauma services.
- Transfer from another hospital to get specialized surgical care.
Team-based care: The Trauma Center’s staff includes knowledgeable surgeons, nurse practitioners, physician assistants, nurses and other experts. We work together to give you skilled care 24/7. Our team also follows up after your hospital stay to make sure your recovery stays on track.
Specialized services: Our trauma center benefits from the resources of the region’s only public academic medical center. If needed, we can connect you with providers who specialize in bone and joint care, reconstructive surgery, neurological surgery, spine conditions and targeted muscle reinnervation after amputation.
Trauma intensive care: Our ICU is staffed by experts in surgical critical care and equipped with the latest technology. We treat patients with severe injuries who are hurt due to falls, car crashes, traumatic brain injuries, gun violence, workplace injuries and other accidents.
Trauma ward: Our inpatient units are devoted to patients recovering from traumatic injuries. The trauma ward staff works closely with the ICU team to make the transition to the ward smooth and worry-free.
Our acute care services are for treatment after emergency surgery such as complex wound care, pain management and symptom management.
Our intermediate care services are for patients transitioning from intensive care who still need close attention and support. The intermediate care team also helps patients plan for their return home or to rehabilitation facilities.
Trauma surgery clinic: Twice a week, we hold a follow-up clinic for patients who received care at the Trauma Center. Services include pain management for traumatic injuries, complex wound care, follow up after surgery, and evaluation or referral for care of minor traumatic brain injuries.
Support our work
You can make a difference by making a tax-deductible gift to the trauma center through the OHSU Foundation.
Breaking the cycle of violence
The OHSU Trauma Center partners with Healing Hurt People to deliver community-based support for shooting victims.
This cause of traumatic injuries is surprisingly common
Nearly 25% of the accidents that send patients to OHSU’s Trauma Center involve older people toppling over on level ground.