As the state's only academic health center, OHSU's breakthrough research leads to new cures, new standards of care, and a better understanding of the basic science that drives biomedical discovery. Read about research at OHSU
2017 Report of Funding and Awards
Looking back at 2017
- Shoukhrat Mitalipov, Ph.D., and team are first to use the gene-editing tool CRISPR to correct a disease-causing mutation in nuclear DNA/human embryos that causes hypertrophic cardiomyopathy
- Nature names OHSU among top 20 research institutions in the world
- OHSU earns two grants totaling $62 million from the National Center for Advancing Translational Sciences, to help bridge basic science and clinical research
- Research led by Kim Burchiel, M.D., and team is first to indicate clinical outcomes for deep brain stimulation while patients are asleep are on par or better than surgery while awake.
- Knight Cancer Institute recruits internationally renowned cancer researcher Gordon Mills, M.D., from MD Anderson Cancer Center to lead the institute’s efforts in precision oncology.
- NIH selects the Knight Cancer Institute to co-lead the largest national database for pediatric cancer, rare disease research.
- Technology expert Mike Heller, Ph.D., joins Knight Cancer Institute’s center for cancer early detection.
- Knight Cancer Institute joins a prestigious national consortium and is selected to receive $9.2 million from the NIH to study triple-negative breast cancer
- Vinay Prasad, M.D., earns $2 million from the Laura and John Arnold Foundation to investigate health care practices that 'don’t work.'
- The New England Journal of Medicine published a study led by Brian Druker, M.D., demonstrating long-term results of Gleevec® for patients with chronic myeloid leukemia
You might like...
School of Medicine DepartmentsIntegrated Program in Community ResearchDiversity in Research Fellowship Clinical Trials at OHSU Volunteer Opportunities Embryonic Cell and Gene Therapy
Investigators in our departments pursue new knowledge in areas ranging from molecular biology and cancer to heart disease, behavioral science and public health.
Connecting expertise and resources to unify OHSU and community research efforts. Learn more about Integrated Program in Community Research.