Caring for Yourself After Simultaneous Pancreas-Kidney Transplant
You are the most important member of your care team. You need to be actively involved in your care by attending clinic appointments, getting your labs drawn, communicating with members of your care team, and understanding how to take care of your new pancreas-kidney.
To help care for your pancreas-kidney, you will need to:
- Take medications as directed, and ask your doctor before taking any other medications, including over-the-counter medications and dietary supplements.
- Eat a healthy diet, avoid alcohol and do not smoke.
- Contact your doctor if you are feeling ill, and avoid anyone with colds or infections.
- Have your labs drawn as directed by your doctor, including any additional testing.
- Follow lifting, walking, showering and activity restrictions.
- Resume employment 4-6 weeks post-transplant.