Referring a patient for ECMO
- Call our transfer center at 503-494-7000 or 800-648-6478
- Request the on-call ECMO Attending
- We will make the connections and handle all details for referring provider
Rapid transport for ECMO patients
Immediate consultation and air or ground transfer for critical respiratory and cardiac patients throughout Oregon.
Learn about respiratory and cardiac indications for ECMO treatment and our air and ground transfer service.
Extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO), also known as extracorporeal life support (ECLS), provides a mechanism for gas exchange and/or cardiac life support for patients with potentially reversible respiratory and/or cardiac failure. We recommend consultation with our team at the first sign of progressive respiratory or cardiac failure.
OHSU is the only hospital in the Pacific Northwest offering air and ground transport for both pulmonary and cardiac adult ECMO patients.
OHSU provides nationally-recognized comprehensive, multidisciplinary care for cardiac and respiratory patients.
- U.S. News and World Report's No. 1 ranked hospital in Oregon, and ranked among the best nationwide for cardiac and pulmonary programs.
- The first hospital in the Pacific Northwest to receive the prestigious Joint Commission's Advanced Certification in Heart Failure.
- Member of the Extracorporeal Life Support Organization (ELSO).
- A designated Magnet hospital, recognized for nursing excellence, the highest recognition a nursing program can receive.