Diversity is central to our core values. OHSU’s President created the Diversity Advisory Council to help fulfill one of the six goals of OHSU’s Vision 2020 strategic plan: “to be a great organization, diverse in people and ideas.”
The DAC advises the President and the Executive Leadership Team on ways to enhance diversity, multiculturalism and equal opportunity for all aspects of our mission. As a campus-wide group, the DAC supports diversity initiatives across the university—everything from helping units understand the business case for diversity to providing practical resources for employees, students and community members.
The DAC represents all of university’s mission areas and student, staff and faculty groups. Working together, DAC members enhance communication and collaboration across OHSU’s schools and departments.
The Diversity Advisory Council, activated in May 2007, meets bi-monthly with the goal of enhancig diversity throughout OHSU. The DAC explores ways to implement the diversity strategies and tactics in Vision 2020, OHSU’s strategic plan, by fostering a community of inclusion.
DAC meetings are led by the Center for Diversity and Inclusion. Members are appointed by the OHSU President and represent all areas of the institution and its mission.
The DAC connects individuals responsible for diversity-related efforts to further the institution’s interest in supporting and promoting diversity and equal opportunity. Teamwork, collaboration among schools and departments, and developing and prioritizing diversity initiatives are key charges of the council.
Council members are encouraged to address and make recommendations concerning the following issues, as well as others as they are identified, including: increasing the recruitment and retention of diverse students, faculty and employees, improving the campus climate, promoting the institution’s mission, supporting diversity initiatives and assuring quality service to diverse patients.
- Leslie Garcia, M.P.A., Assistant Chief Diversity Officer, Assistant Vice Provost, and Director, Center for Diversity & Inclusion
- Brian Gibbs, Ph.D., M.P.A., Vice President, Equity and Inclusion
- Daisy Alva, Manager, Faculty Employment Contracts, Academic Affairs
- Bob Applegate, Associate Director, Community Engagement, Strategic Communications
- Kristen Beiers-Jones, M.N., Assistant Professor, Clinical Nursing
- Erik Brodt, M.D., Assistant Professor, Family Medicine
- Rossanna Bosch, M.A., Assistant Director, Contracting Services
- Stacey Damazo, M.P.H., R.D., L.D., R.N., C.D.E., Registered Nurse, Magnet Nursing Excellence Program
- Niyeti Desai, M.A., Program Manager, Knight Regional Outreach
- Karen Eden, Ph.D., Associate Professor, Medical Informatics, Women in Academic Medicine Representative
- Damien Fair, P.A.-C, Ph.D., Associate Professor, Behavioral Neuroscience
- Jessica Flynn, M.D., Clinical Associate Professor, School of Medicine
- Michael Foster, Supervisor, Retail Food Service
- Tamara Goldsmith, A.R.M., Risk Analyst, Risk Management
- Merle Graybill, M.Ed., Ombudsman, Provost Office
- Patrick Holmes, Associate Director, Internal Communications
- Ian Jaquiss, J.D., Disability Awareness Trainer and Community Outreach Specialist, Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity
- Tim Kringen, Senior Advisor, Office of the President
- Shea Lott, Ph.D., Research Associate, Clinical Psychology
- Kim Lu, M.D., Associate Professor, General Surgery
- Michael Matrone, Ph.D., Postdoctoral Affairs Officer, Postdoctoral Affairs
- Mark Mitchell, M.A., Associate Dean, Student Affairs, School of Dentistry
- Chinetta Montgomery, AFSCME
- David Newell, Manager, Delivery and Fleet Services
- Iaen Nylund, M.Ed., Learning and Resource Coordinator, Office of International Affairs
- Amy Penkin, M.S.W., Social Work Supervisor, Healthcare Partnership Project
- Riikka Salonen, M.A., Program Manager, Diversity Talent Acquisition, Human Resources
- Laura Stadum, J.D., Director, Office of Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity
- Asma Taha, Ph.D., R.N., C.P.N.P.-P.C./A.C., Associate Professor, Director, Pediatric Nurse Practitioner Program
- Jon Waterhouse, Indigenous Peoples Scholar, Center for Coastal Margin Observation and Prediction, Environmental Health
- Verian Wedeking, Outreach Program Administrator, Casey Eye Institute
Melanie Wong, Executive Assistant, Center for Diversity and Inclusion