Oregon Area Health Education Center (AHEC) works statewide to improve the availability, continuity and quality of health care for communities and populations in need. ORAHEC is a partnership between OHSU and five Regional Centers.
We are part of a consortium of AHEC Programs and Centers located in most all 50 states: National Area Health Education Center Organization (NAO), Comprehensive AHEC Directory.
What We Do
Oregon AHEC helps develop health career pathways and sustainable healthcare in Oregon communities through the following activities:
- Conduct programs to expose and recruit high school students from rural or underserved areas into health careers
- Prepare OHSU students to effectively provide health services to underserved areas and health disparity populations by supporting field placements, rural and community health clerkships and rural residency programs
- Conduct and participate in interdisciplinary education for future health professionals focused on rural and underserved communities
- Facilitate continuing education and information dissemination programs for health care professionals, with an emphasis on individuals providing care in underserved areas and for health disparity populations
- Support the development of diverse health care professionals committed to delivery of high-quality care in rural or underserved areas
- Implement effective program and outcomes measurement and evaluation strategies to respond to changing health care needs
The first ever Oregon Area Health Education Center Opioid Symposium attracted 125 attendees from around the state.
Recorded and live streamed from Knight Cancer Research Center, Oregon Health and Science University to 4 satellite locations throughout Oregon.
Visit our Resources Page for Event Recording and Speaker Presentations
News and Events
July 18, 2019 application deadline: The National Health Service Corps (NHSC) Rural Community Loan Repayment Program (LRP) is a new program for providers working to combat the opioid epidemic in the nation’s rural communities. Application
June 18, 2019 Webinar: Introduction to Oregon HPV Vaccination Week
June 29 - July 2 2019 Next Steps Summer Camp for Junior and Senior High School Students
September 28, 2019 Oregon Medical Association Annual Conference
October 2 - 4, 2019 Oregon Rural Health Conference
February - April 2019 Oregon Area Health Education Center Director's Update
Oregon Area Health Education Center (ORAHEC) works statewide to improve the availability,continuity and quality of health care for communities and populations in need. ORAHEC is a partnership between OHSU and five Regional Centers.
We are part of a consortium of AHEC Programs and Centers located in most all 50 states.