From Zambia to Medical School

StudentSpeak is pleased to share an excerpt of M.D. student Malerie Pratt‘s winning essay for the Student Scholarship and Worldwide Community Ambassador Award presented by Giva. Malerie is a member of the M.D. Class of 2018 and a Swindells Family Scholar.

MalerieZambiaBecause my parents raised me to be goal-oriented, it did not surprise me when my dad asked me to write my goals for the next ten years when I was only nine. My goals focused on helping people and protecting the environment. Most importantly, I wanted to build and to run orphanages in Africa.

However, ten years later when I stepped off a plane in Zambia, Africa, I planned only to volunteer at a school for handicapped children. Although I did eventually help build a home for children, my time in Zambia made me realize that I could have a wider, more powerful impact on people in need if I would become a doctor.

I drew this conclusion early in my stay when I left my sheltered and guarded compound to experience life from the perspective of the local people. I witnessed child prostitution, malnourishment, disease, poverty and corruption; however, I also saw a beautiful and complex culture. I wanted to make a difference outside of my protected walls, so I traveled hours to visit an AIDS hospice for the dying and terminally ill.

Immediately, as I walked into the hospice, I smelled rotting bodies and saw skeletal bodies lying on mats screaming in pain. Although in shock and wanting to run away, I knew I had to remain calm and confident. Therefore, I spoke with the patients in what little of the local language I knew. They laughed at me because they were surprised and happy to see a foreigner trying to speak their language. Unknowingly, I had distracted them, for a short time, from their pain. It was the most horrific place I had been, but I realized that this is where I needed to spend my time in Zambia. As people brought their loved ones to the hospice in wheelbarrows, hoping to find them a comfortable place to die, I learned never to be fazed by a person’s physical state, but to greet him or her with compassion, to bathe and feed them, and to make their last days as comfortable as possible.

Read Malerie’s full essay on givainc.com and watch her talk from TEDxBend

Tiah Lindner is a Communications Specialist in the School of Medicine Dean's Office.