Nepal

MSF, Indonesia 2004

Santhosh, Nepal 2015

I’m behind on several papers, some stats homework and the apartment could use a little picking up. All that’s been the normal state of affairs for the past year. What has caught me a little off guard over the past couple of days is my distraction with the earthquakes in Nepal. In addition to the photos from the news media, I am also getting some photos from Santhosh, a kind orthopedic surgeon who I worked with post earthquake in 2004 in central Java with Médecins Sans Frontières (Doctors without Borders). It’s difficult not to be concerned about the safety of the aid workers who have responded to this disaster; especially when you haven’t heard from them in a couple of days. From past experience you realize that nearly every waking hour is focused on patient care and safety and there is little time and few internet opportunities to leave messages to friends.

So here’s hoping for the safety of all who have responded to the earthquake in Nepal!

I'm slowly changing who I am and how I think of myself. A year ago I was an electrical engineer (PE MSEE / OSU) working for a solar inverter manufacture in Bend Oregon today I'm a student in the MPH bio-stats eip program here at OHSU. I grew up in St Louis and started my undergrad at University of Missouri before leaning practical foreign affairs in the Air Force in southeast Asia. Completed my undergrad in engineering at DeVry Institute in Phoenix and moved to Oregon and completed my MSEE. Practiced electrical engineering at various companies in the Portland area. Gradually be came more interested in and aware of international aid and emergencies. I volunteered / vacationed in Kyrgyzstan helping to understand and improve a micro-credit program. Later I did an emergency mission with Dr w/o Borders where I managed the non-medical side of a 100 bed orthopedic field recovery hospital in central Java. Looking forward to transitioning my engineering problem solving skills to public health.