Halfway point…

In the middle of this Winter Term my junior class hit the halfway point of our program. I think half of us were thinking, ‘Ah, we’re almost done.’ The other half of the class thought, ‘Ugh, we still have another year and a half.” And the other half (mathematics is super important in nursing) thought, ‘Perhaps I can convince the Oregon State Board of Nursing that I don’t need to take the NCLEX. Hey, yeah! Clearly that Foley cath coude I performed is grounds for NCLEX dismissal.’ Either way, we’re all pretty excited to be one step closer to beginning our professional careers. Some students are already applying for future jobs, some are looking for healthcare jobs for the summer, but all of us are bearing down for finals.

I have complained many times how I wish I could be done this year and start working. Yet, the closer I come to ending this year, the happier I am that I have more time before becoming a nurse. All of the procedures that I practice in lab become learned skills when I use them in clinicals and I feel like without more experience, the less learned skills I will have.

It always seems like nursing school is more of an apprenticeship. You have to log a certain amount of hours, prove certain skills, and then there’s a big test at the end to see if all your hard work has paid off. I wonder if crossing my fingers any harder will increase my chances of passing that big test…Well, here’s to another year and a half!

Cheers,
Michael Husltrom
Nurse Apprentice