Daily goals

Sometimes, I feel as if I’m on a teeter-totter.  Nursing school, and all of its glorious details, is on one side, and on the other side of the fulcrum, life.

I often tell my friends and family, “if you don’t hear from me for the next 10 weeks, it’s because I’m on a school/homework hiatus”.  In the pursuit of following my dreams, I often fear that I miss out on life’s little niceties.

One of the biggest pieces of advice that has been shared with me is to celebrate my small accomplishments as well as the big ones.  When my homework is piling up, I have papers to write, quizzes to take, a cake to bake for my younger brother’s birthday, a card to make for my friend’s new baby, and I feel my head is about to burst, I do something quite simple: I create a list.  I love checklists.  Being a visual person, I find that writing down my daily itinerary allows for me to feel a sense of accomplishment when I tick off a box.  It’s so simple, but completely effective.  In case I do not finish all of my “to-dos”, I can celebrate the ones that I did finish.

Today, I’ve finished some clinical paperwork, finished a few genetics homework problems, and written this blog entry.  Check, check, and check.

What do you do to recognize your daily accomplishments?