COVID-19 MODIFIED OPERATIONS
OHSU has declared modified operations as of March 23rd, 2020, to help slow the spread of the virus that causes COVID-19 (coronavirus disease 2019). During this period, the DNA Services Core will not be processing or accepting samples for research studies. The only exception will be for projects approved by the OHSU COVID-19 Research Task Force. The Core will continue to accept oligo synthesis requests through the iLab IDT portal; note, however, that this service is dependent on sustained operations by IDT. If you have an urgent deadline requiring services or equipment provided by the core, please contact Chris Harrington at email@example.com to discuss options.
Core staff will continue to be available by email, phone, and online meeting to plan experiments, assist with grant development, review data, and assist with manuscript preparation. Please continue to submit service requests at OHSU iLab so that your project and samples will be entered in the DNA Services queue for scheduling once the modified operations declaration is lifted.
DNA Services Core
The DNA Services Core is a unit of the Integrated Genomics Laboratory and is located on OHSU Marquam Hill Campus in Richard Jones Hall, room 5330. We work closely with the Massively Parallel Sequencing Shared Resource and the Gene Profiling Shared Resource to provide support and services, from specimen processing through data generation.
Please acknowledge support from the core in publications and presentations. See suggested text below.
Services we offer
- Human cell line authentication: Accurate authentication of human cell lines using STR analysis and meeting the ANSI/ATCC requirements
- Oligo synthesis: Creation of custom primers and probes for oligo and siRNA synthesis through Integrated DNA Technologies (IDT)
- DNA quantification: Quantification, size and quality assessment of DNA samples
- DNA normalization and plating: Plating support for sample dilution and standardization for downstream assays
- Consulting: For project design and sample preparation assistance
Acknowledgements and co-authorship:
When presenting and publishing results from projects processed by the DNA Services Core, inclusion of the following statement is appreciated:
"STR profiling for human cell line authentication was performed in the OHSU DNA Services Core; this work utilized a 3730xl DNA Analyzer purchased with funding from NIH SIG grant S10 OD010609"
- Nanodrop 1000 and 8000 Spectrophotometers
- ThermoFisher Scientific Veriti Thermal Cyclers
- Eppendorf epMotion 5075 Liquid Handling Robot for sample and reagent aliquoting, and sample normalization and plating
- Suite of custom and commercial software for data QA/QC and analysis
- Access to ABI DNA Analyzer
Postponed: UCSC Genome Browser Workshop
- This event is postponed as of March 11th, 2020. This event will be updated once a new workshop date has been determined.
Winter 2019 IGL newsletter
- For holiday hours and updates on service center activities, please see the Winter 2019 IGL newsletter.
Single cell analysis
- To learn more about single cell analysis and available core resources, please visit the University Shared Resources program website.
Sanger sequencing services have moved to Vollum Sequencing Core
- As of July 1st 2018, the DNA Services Core will no longer be supporting Sanger sequencing. Ongoing services utilizing capillary electrophoresis for DNA sequencing will be available through the Vollum Sequencing Core. The DNA Services Core will continue to provide cell line authentication service and support for oligo synthesis.
Assays and technologies
We currently offer a human cell line authentication (CLA) service that uses Promega's GenePrint® 10 system to confirm the identity of human cell lines through short tandem repeat (STR) analysis and to detect the presence of cell line contaminants.
- This service provides co-amplification and detection of 9 STR loci, including Amelogenin (gender determining locus), and can amplify DNA with inputs of 10ng.
- Standards for Cell Line Authentication and Beyond - Almeida et al. (2016)
- Cell line authentication flyer
- DNA oligo synthesis: There is an easy-to-use web ordering portal through Integrated DNA Technologies (IDT) that enables customers to create custom primers and probes for oligo and siRNA synthesis with excellent prices. With this portal you will be able to:
- Eliminate purchase orders and be invoiced directly through iLab
- Orders must be placed through iLab in order to receive discounted pricing.
- Conduct cost-effective experiments with better pricing and free standard shipping
- Begin projects sooner with next-day delivery on standard desalted oligos <60 bases