Medical Therapy for Prostate Cancer
Our medical oncologists provide expertise that is recognized around the world.
They have access to the most advanced treatments, from the latest hormonal therapy and chemotherapy, to a variety of research studies that are only available at the OHSU Knight Cancer Institute.
At our prostate cancer clinic, we will work with you to develop a personalized treatment plan for your cancer. Treatment might include:
- Hormone therapy, chemotherapy or both, before or after surgery or radiation
- Hormone therapy, chemotherapy or both at the same time as radiation
- Hormone therapy, chemotherapy, immunotherapyor targeted therapy (biologics) alone
- Clinical trial of new anti-cancer medications or other treatment
We will consider your tumor and prognosis as well as your values and priorities as we develop your individual treatment plan.
Our prostate cancer team is involved in the latest research. Our clinical trials include research on:
- Strengthening the immune system against prostate cancer
- Blocking hormones that drive prostate cancer growth
- New chemotherapy drugs
- Nutrition and prostate cancer
- New drugs to stop growth of specific cancers while avoiding sideeffects
- Improving the quality of life for prostate cancer survivors
Your medical oncologist will work with other members of your multidisciplinary care team to support you and help you reach your treatment goals. Support may include:
- Pain medication
- Anti-nausea medication
- Counseling and emotional support for you and your family .