Non-degree status provides an option for students to take courses without being admitted to an OHSU School of Nursing (SON) graduate program. Non-degree students must meet the admission criteria for the program with which the course(s) is affiliated. Not all courses are open to non-degree students.
Non-degree students are limited to taking a maximum of 6 credits per term. No more than 9 credits of non-degree coursework can be transferred into a SON graduate program. Taking courses as a non-degree student will not guarantee admission to an academic program and may not count towards matriculation requirements. Non-degree students may not take clinical courses.
Registration Process for Masters, PMCO and Ph.D. Program
Please see the academic calendar for registration and starting dates for each term.
You must be registered for courses at least 2 weeks prior to the start of each term. Non-degree students will not be permitted to register for courses after the term begins.
Non-degree students must contact the faculty teaching the course to request permission to enroll. The Course Schedule will help you to identify the faculty teaching the course for which you wish to register each term.To obtain an e-mail of a faculty member, please go to the faculty listings page. Admitted students have priority for enrolling in all graduate courses. Faculty may:
- Permit you to register for the course;
- Decline your request; or
- Keep a waiting list and notify you later if permission to take the course is granted
If you receive an email from a faculty member giving you permission to register for a course, you must submit a copy of that email with your course registration materials to the Registrar.
To apply and register for a course as a non-degree student, please complete the following
OHSU Registrar's Office, L109
3181 SW Sam Jackson Park Rd.
Portland, Ore. 97239
You must indicate on your registration form the date and name of the faculty giving permission. Please note the registration dates for each term and how tuition and fees are billed through the Registrar's office.
2. After you register for courses, you can acquire a library barcode here. You will be able to use the barcode to access the library resources both on and off-site. In addition, if you are a licensed Oregon health professional, you are eligible for the services described at: http://www.ohsu.edu/xd/education/library/off-campus-access.cfm
3. Submit to the Registrar the application packet with a $60 non-refundable application fee at above address. Make check payable to OHSU. (NOTE: This application fee can not be deducted from your application fee if/when you apply to a School of Nursing Graduate Program to be an admitted student. That fee is $120, and is separate from the $60 non degree application fee.)
4. Complete the HIPAA and Respect at the University trainings. Go to OHSU Integrity Education and select the HIPAA and Respect at the University trainings. Keep a copy of the completion certificate for your files. Email a copy of the HIPAA and Respect training completion certificates along with a copy of the Application form to Carolyn Kimpton, firstname.lastname@example.org
5. Medical Insurance : Health insurance is required of all nursing students. OHSU has a policy that requires each registered student to have health insurance. The Registrar's office automatically bills you for health insurance when you register for a course, UNLESS YOU HAVE RETURNED a Medical Insurance Waiver Form to Student Health proving you have your own policy. If you apply for the waiver because you already have a qualifying group insurance plan and do not need OHSU health insurance, be sure to include a copy of the schedule of benefits of your plan (you can get this from the insurance company) and submit a copy of your insurance verification card with expiration date highlighted, along with the OHSU Waiver Application form.
Please send inquiries about graduate program information to email@example.com. For specific information on being a Non-Degree student, contact:
Program Technician I
OHSU School of Nursing, SN-5S
3455 SW U.S. Veterans Hospital Road
Portland, OR 97239-2941
Phone: 503 494-2351
FAX: 503 494-3878