Project Manager & Scientific Data Curator
skype ID: nicolevasilevsky
Scientific data curator and Resource Navigator for the eagle-i Network (eagle-i.net): eagle-i is an ontology driven system designed to collect and disseminate information about scientific resources and publish Linked Open Data
Project Manager for CTSAconnect (ctsaconnect.org): The goal of CTSAconnect is to creat a richer landscape of research representation that can be used to identify collaborators or evaluate scientific outcomes.
• Development of ontologies and best practices for representation and query of biomedical resources, model organisms and clinical specimens
• Content management for eagle-i Network
• End-user requirements and user interface design and testing
• Outreach to participants and end-users within the eagle-i Network
• Training of current and new users in best curation practices
PhD, Cell biology (2009) Oregon Health & Science University, Portland, OR
BA, Biology (2000) Reed College, Portland, OR
• Post-doctoral research fellow (2009-2010) Dr. Kate Morris, Cancer Research, Legacy Health Research, Portland, OR
• Graduate Research Assistant, (2003 – 2009) Dr. Andrew Weinberg, Earle A. Chiles Research Institute, Providence Portland Medical Center, Portland, OR
• Research Assistant (2001-2002) Dr. Mark Garzotto, VA Medical Center, Portland, OR
• Graduate Research Assistant (2001) Dr. Jan Gorter, Swammerdam Institute for Life Sciences, University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
• Undergraduate Research Assistant (1999-2000) Dr. Glen Kisby, Center for Research on Occupational and Environmental Toxicology, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, OR
• Adjunct faculty (2011 – Present) Master of Science in Integrative Medicine Research program, National College of Natural Medicine, Portland, OR
• Part-time faculty (2009-2010) Bioscience Technology, Portland Community College, Portland, OR
Select Publications and Presentations
• Nicole Vasilevsky, Carlo Torniai, Melissa Haendel and Chris Shaffer (2012) The semantic web is changing research and library science. Presentation at the Oregon Library Association Meeting. April 27, 2012; Bend, OR.
• Nicole Vasilevsky, Tenille Johnson, Karen Corday, Carlo Torniai, Matthew Brush, Erik Segerdell, Melanie Wilson, Chris Shaffer, David Robinson and Melissa Haendel (2012) Research resources: curating the new eagle-i discovery system. Database Vol. 2012, bar067.
• Nicole Vasilevsky, Tenille Johnson, Karen Corday, Carlo Torniai, Matthew Brush, Erik Segerdell, Melanie Wilson, Chris Shaffer, David Robinson and Melissa Haendel (2012) Research resources: curating the new eagle-i discovery system. Poster Presentation at the International Society for Biocuration Conference. April 02-04, 2012; Washington, DC.
• Terry Meehan, Christopher J. Mungall, Nicole A. Vasilevsky, Melissa A. Haendel, Judith A. Blake, Alexander D. Diehl (2012) Finding Functional Signatures for Immune Cell Types Via Gene Expression Analysis. AMIA 2012 Summit on Translational Bioinformatics. San Francisco, CA.
• Torniai, C, Brush, M, Vasilevsky, N, Segerdell, E, Wison, M, Johnson, T, Corday, K, Shaffer, C, and Haendel, M. (2011) Developing an application ontology for biomedical resource annotation and retrieval: Challenges and lessons learned. International Conference on Biomedical Ontology 2011; July 26–30, 2011; Buffalo, NY.
• Brush M, Vasilevsky N, Torniai C, Johnson T, Shaffer C, and Haendel M. (2011) Developing a Reagent Application Ontology within the OBO Foundry Framework. International Conference on Biomedical Ontology 2011; July 26–30, 2011; Buffalo, NY.
• Frost HR, Hadden L, Bourges-Waldegg D, MacFadden D, Haendel M, Torniai C, Vasilevsky N, Thompson P. (2011) Discovering biomedical research resources in text: an ontology-driven approach using curated data for incremental retraining. AMIA Summit on Translational Bioinformatics, San Francisco, CA.
• Vasilevsky NA, Ruby CE, Hurlin PJ, Weinberg AD. OX40 engagement stabilizes Mxd4 and Mnt protein levels in antigen-stimulated T cells leading to an increase in cell survival. Eur J Immunol. 2011 Apr; 41(4):1024-34. Eur J Immunol. 2011 Apr;41(4):1024-34.
• Vasilevsky, NA and Weinberg, AD. The role of Mad4, Mnt and c-Myc proteins in OX40 stimulated T cells. American Association of Immunologists Meeting, Abstract #33.26. J. Immunol., 182: 33.26, 2009.
• Vasilevsky, NA, Hurlin PJ and Weinberg AD. (08 May 2009) The role of Mad4, Mnt and c-Myc proteins in OX40 stimulated T cells.Tumor Vaccine and Cell Therapy Working Group, University of Washington, Seattle, WA.
• International Conference on Biomedical Ontology fellowship 2011
• International Society for Biocuration 2011
• Association of Biomolecular Resource Facilities 2011
• Portland Community College Bioscience Technology Advisory Board 2009-present
• Member, Oregon Bioscience Association 2008-present
• American Association of Cancer Research 2010
Outside of work:
When Nicole is not working, she can often be found out enjoying Portland’s city life, on her tandem bike with her husband or cuddling with her kitties.