Patient and Family Resources
At the OHSU Knight Cancer Institute, we treat your cancer -- and care for you as a whole person. We offer a range of services to make your treatment and follow-up care as comfortable and successful as possible.
Knight Cancer Institute and OHSU services and resources
- Acupuncture: Acupuncture can be an effective way to manage some side effects of cancer treatment.
- Adolescent and Young Adult Oncology Program: OHSU has Oregon's only program with services tailored to cancer patients ages 15 to 39.
- Animal-assisted therapy: If you're an inpatient on Marquam Hill, you can ask your care team to request a visit with a dog or cat from one of our volunteer animal-assisted therapy teams. Your providers will make sure a visit is appropriate. Visits are not allowed for patients with compromised immune systems, for example.
- Billing and Insurance: See if your insurance covers care at OHSU, and find numbers for help with billing or cost estimates.
- Cancer registries: Our registries offer the opportunity to participate in research and learn about the latest advances.
- Classes and support groups: Our classes include one that explains what to expect during chemotherapy.
- Concierge services: Friendly specialists can answer questions and help you find your way. The main concierge desk is in the ninth-floor lobby of OHSU Hospital. Hours are 5:30 a.m. to 9 p.m. weekdays and 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. weekends.
- Events: The Knight Cancer Institute supports a range of community events.
- Fertility preservation: Our fertility specialists can give cancer patients a range of options.
- Food and drink: Find places to eat and drink on our Marquam Hill and South Waterfront campuses.
- Gift shop: Visit our gift shop on the ninth floor of OHSU Hospital 9 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. weekdays.
- Glossary: We've compiled definitions of cancer terms.
- Language services: We have interpreters available 24/7. Sign language interpreters are also available.
- MyChart: Our secure online tool lets you manage appointments, get results, request prescription refills and communicate with your doctor.
- News: Read our Cancer Translated blog and other Knight Cancer Institute news.
- Nutrition services: Our cancer dieticians can help you manage side effects that affect nutrition and appetite. They can also help you prepare for surgery.
- OHSU Doernbecher Children's Hospital patient and family resources
- Palliative care: Our palliative care specialists can help you manage symptoms. They can also provide emotional support to you and your family. You do not have to be terminally ill or to have stopped life-prolonging treatment to receive these services.
- Patient Education Resource Center: A patient navigator from the American Cancer Society helps with lodging, rides, peer support, looking better and more. The center is on the seventh floor of the Center for Health & Healing.
- Patient Relations: Find help with questions and concerns.
- Pharmacies: We offer a pharmacies on our campuses and in the community.
- Preparing for your visit: Find a welcome guide and other information to get ready for your hospital stay.
- Rehabilitation services: Physical therapists, speech therapists and occupational therapists can help you reach your full potential after cancer treatment.
- Social services: Our social workers can provide emotional support to you and your family, and help with needs such as lodging and transportation.
- Spiritual services: OHSU offers chaplain support in addition to sacred spaces for prayer and contemplation.
- Survivorship services: We offer a range of services to help cancer patients transition to life after cancer.
- Women's sexual health: We offer the area's only program to support the sexual health of women affected by cancer.
Find more information on our For Patients and Visitors pages.
The Knight Cancer Institute is always researching better ways to prevent, detect and treat cancer. Your care team can answer questions about whether a trial is right for you.
Services in the community
- Call 800-227-2345. American Cancer Society specialists answer questions 24/7. Learn more.
- Call 800-4-CANCER (800-422-6237). Specialists at the NCI Contact Center answer your cancer questions in calls, live chats or emails.
- American Cancer Society Oregon
- The American Cancer Society’s support page provides information on help with lodging, rides, looking good during cancer treatment, and other support services.
- CancerCare.org offers counseling, support groups (online, by telephone and in person), and links to workshops and other resources.
Support for caregivers and family members
- Caregivers and Family, American Cancer Society
- Support for Caregivers of Cancer Patients, National Cancer Institute
- "Caring for the Caregiver," National Cancer Institute booklet
- Help for Cancer Caregivers
- Cancer Caregiving, National Alliance for Caregiving
- Helping Children When a Family Member Has Cancer, American Cancer Society
- Teens Who Have a Family Member With Cancer, National Cancer Institute
- "When Your Brother or Sister has Cancer: A Guide for Teens," National Cancer Institute booklet
- "When Your Parent Has Cancer: A Guide for Teens," National Cancer Institute booklet