I have seen patients with autism and worked with their families since 1986. Prior to joining OHSU in 2012, I held academic appointments at INSERM (Paris, France), King's College London (Institute of Psychiatry, London, UK), McGill University (Montreal, Canada) where I developed clinical and research programs. In addition to conducting my own research on the epidemiology of psychiatric disorders in children with special reference to autism, I spend time disseminating scientifically valid information to different professional and non-professional audiences. I created and taught in several training programs on autism research in various countries. I have devoted significant time to international efforts to develop advocacy for autism and boost local research and clinical capacity in under-resourced/developing countries including Mexico, China, Oman, Qatar, Kazakhstan, Morocco and Brazil. I also enjoy activities with my family, including cooking, reading and playing music. I have four boys and like to hike and ski.
Areas of interest
- I have conducted epidemiological research on common psychiatric disorders occurring in child and adolescents. In particular, I have been interested in examining time trends in the incidence of youth psychosocial disorders and searching their causes. I have been involved in studies of autism as well as clinical care for over 30 years and have a wide range of interest including understanding the genetic mechanisms underpinning risk for autism, examining developmental trajectories and factors associated with better or worse outcomes, behavioral and psychopharmacological management, autism in adult life, and support to families and their associations.
- M.D., University of Paris, Paris France 1978
- Psychiatry Residency , University of Paris, 1977-1980
- Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, University of Paris, 1980-1982
Honors and awards
- Lauréat de la Faculté de Médecine de Paris (MD Thesis Distinction), 1980
- Canada Research Chair in Child Psychiatry, 2001-2012
- Career Scientist Award of Excellence, Foundation for Research into Children’s Diseases, Quebec, 2007
Memberships and associations
- Joint Editor of the Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry (2016- )
- Associate Editor, Journal of Autism and developmental Disorders (199402004)
Fombonne E. The use of questionnaires in child psychiatry research: measuring their performance and choosing an optimal cut-off. J Child Psychol Psychiatry. 1991 May;32(4):677-93. PubMed PMID: 1864896.
Fombonne E. The Chartres Study: I. Prevalence of psychiatric disorders among French school-age children. Br J Psychiatry. 1994 Jan;164(1):69-79. PubMed PMID: 8137112.
Fombonne E. Anorexia nervosa. No evidence of an increase. Br J Psychiatry. 1995 Apr;166(4):462-71. PubMed PMID: 7795917.
Fombonne E. Suicidal behaviours in vulnerable adolescents. Time trends and their correlates. The British Journal of Psychiatry. 1998 Aug; 173(2):154-159. PubMed PMID: 9850228.
Fombonne E, Chakrabarti S. No evidence for a new variant of measles-mumps-rubella-induced autism. Pediatrics. 2001 Oct;108(4):E58. PubMed PMID: 11581466
Fombonne E, Zakarian R, Bennett A, Meng L, McLean-Heywood D. Pervasive developmental disorders in Montreal, Quebec, Canada: prevalence and links with immunizations. Pediatrics. 2006 Jul;118(1):e139-50. PubMed PMID: 16818529
Fombonne E, Bolton P, Prior J, Jordan H, Rutter M. A family study of autism: cognitive patterns and levels in parents and siblings. J Child Psychol Psychiatry. 1997 Sep;38(6):667-83. PubMed PMID: 9315977.
Fombonne E, Wostear G, Cooper V, Harrington R, Rutter M. The Maudsley long-term follow-up of child and adolescent depression. 1. Psychiatric outcomes in adulthood. Br J Psychiatry. 2001 Sep;179:210-7. PubMed PMID: 11532797.
Fombonne E, Marcin C, Bruno R, Tinoco CM, Marquez CD. Screening for autism in Mexico. Autism Res. 2012 Jun;5(3):180-9. PubMed PMID: 22581514.
Fombonne E, Rogé B, Claverie J, Courty S, Frémolle J. Microcephaly and macrocephaly in autism. J Autism Dev Disord. 1999 Apr;29(2):113-9. PubMed PMID: 10382131.
- "Polygenic transmission disequilibrium confirms that common and rare variation act additively to create risk for autism spectrum disorders." Nature Genetics In: , Vol. 49, No. 7, 01.07.2017, p. 978-985.
- "Meta-analysis of GWAS of over 16,000 individuals with autism spectrum disorder highlights a novel locus at 10q24.32 and a significant overlap with schizophrenia." Molecular Autism In: , Vol. 8, No. 1, 21, 22.05.2017.
- "Modifying the Autism Spectrum Rating Scale (6–18 years) to a Chinese Context : An Exploratory Factor Analysis." Neuroscience Bulletin In: , Vol. 33, No. 2, 01.04.2017, p. 175-182.
- "Chinese Norms for the Autism Spectrum Rating Scale." Neuroscience Bulletin In: , Vol. 33, No. 2, 01.04.2017, p. 161-167.
- "Assessing the Accuracy of the Modified Chinese Autism Spectrum Rating Scale and Social Responsiveness Scale for Screening Autism Spectrum Disorder in Chinese Children." Neuroscience Bulletin In: , Vol. 33, No. 2, 01.04.2017, p. 168-174.
- "Erratum to : Early emotional and behavioral difficulties and adult educational attainment: an 18-year follow-up of the TEMPO study." European Child and Adolescent Psychiatry In: , 25.01.2017, p. 1-2.
- "Impact of personal and social resources on parenting stress in mothers of children with autism spectrum disorder." Autism In: , Vol. 21, No. 2, 2017, p. 155-166.
- "Beyond sentences : Using the expression, reception, and recall of narratives instrument to assess communication in school-aged children with autism spectrum disorder." Journal of Speech, Language, and Hearing Research In: , Vol. 60, No. 8, 2017, p. 2228-2240.
- "Exonic Mosaic Mutations Contribute Risk for Autism Spectrum Disorder." American Journal of Human Genetics In: , 2017.
- "Parental social networks during childhood and offspring depression in early adulthood : a lifecourse approach." Depression and Anxiety In: , Vol. 33, No. 11, 01.11.2016, p. 1031-1038.
- "Editorial : Isolating the essential difference – The importance of choosing the right type and sufficient numbers of controls in research on neurodevelopmental disorders and mental health conditions." Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry and Allied Disciplines In: , Vol. 57, No. 11, 01.11.2016, p. 1203-1204.
- "No association between mycotoxin exposure and autism : A pilot case-control study in school-aged children." Toxins In: , Vol. 8, No. 7, 224, 20.07.2016.
- "Prenatal antidepressant use and risk of autism spectrum disorders in children." JAMA Pediatrics In: , Vol. 170, No. 7, 01.07.2016, p. 711-712.
- "Resilience and Developmental Health in Autism Spectrum Disorder." Positive Mental Health, Fighting Stigma and Promoting Resiliency for Children and Adolescents. Elsevier Inc., 2016. p. 91-109.
- "Food insecurity and mental health problems among a community sample of young adults." Social Psychiatry and Psychiatric Epidemiology In: , 13.06.2016, p. 1-9.
- "Early emotional and behavioral difficulties and adult educational attainment : an 18-year follow-up of the TEMPO study." European Child and Adolescent Psychiatry In: , 03.05.2016, p. 1-3.
- "Joint trajectories of internalizing and externalizing problems in preschool children with autism spectrum disorder." Development and Psychopathology In: , 05.02.2016, p. 1-12.
- "Prevalence of Autism Spectrum Disorders in Guanajuato, Mexico : The Leon survey." Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders In: , 21.01.2016, p. 1-17.
- "Increased risk of autism spectrum disorders in children born to women with systemic lupus erythematosus : Results from a large population-based cohort." Arthritis and Rheumatology In: , Vol. 67, No. 12, 01.12.2015, p. 3201-3208.
- "Obesity and autism." Pediatrics In: , Vol. 136, No. 6, 01.12.2015, p. 1051-1061.
- "Adolescent Repeated Alcohol Intoxication as a Predictor of Young Adulthood Alcohol Abuse : The Role of Socioeconomic Context." Substance Use and Misuse In: , 27.11.2015, p. 1-10.
- "Service utilization in a sample of preschool children with autism spectrum disorder : A Canadian snapshot." Paediatrics and Child Health (Canada) In: , Vol. 20, No. 8, 01.11.2015, p. e43-e47.
- "Insights into Autism Spectrum Disorder Genomic Architecture and Biology from 71 Risk Loci." Neuron In: , Vol. 87, No. 6, 23.09.2015, p. 1215-1233.
- "Do reciprocal associations exist between social and language pathways in preschoolers with autism spectrum disorders?" Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry and Allied Disciplines In: , Vol. 56, No. 8, 01.08.2015, p. 874-883.
- "A genome-wide association study of autism using the Simons simplex collection : Does reducing phenotypic heterogeneity in autism increase genetic homogeneity?" Biological Psychiatry In: , Vol. 77, No. 9, 01.05.2015, p. 775-784.
- "Psychological, social and familial factors associated with tobacco cessation among young adults." European Addiction Research In: , Vol. 21, No. 3, 24.04.2015, p. 153-159.
- "Stability and Change in the Cognitive and Adaptive Behaviour Scores of Preschoolers with Autism Spectrum Disorder." Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders In: , Vol. 45, No. 9, 03.04.2015, p. 2691-2703.
- "Developmental trajectories of symptom severity and adaptive functioning in an inception cohort of preschool children with autism spectrum disorder." JAMA Psychiatry In: , Vol. 72, No. 3, 01.03.2015, p. 276-283.
- "Validity and reliability analysis of the Chinese parent version of the Autism Spectrum Rating Scale (6-18 years)." Psychiatry Research In: , 24.02.2015.
- "Joint analysis of psychiatric disorders increases accuracy of risk prediction for schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, and major depressive disorder." American Journal of Human Genetics In: , Vol. 96, No. 2, 05.02.2015, p. 283-294.